Thursday, April 5, 2012

Hapi Mari novel: Update 6



After enjoying ourselves at the pool and taking an afternoon nap, we got ready for an early dinner.  It was possible for us to have dinner outside the villa, but we were persuaded by the staff to dine inside the hotel restaurant because of its spectacular view.  Since it was supposed to be a chic place, I changed into the classy dress Hokuto bought for me earlier that day.  I feel that I’ve become quite the lady when my dress flutters in the wind making the shades of pink and white lap and blend together.  Being the killjoy as usual, Hokuto says,

“You look like you slimmed down from exercising in the pool.”

“Don’t say things that ruin the mood.”

“You were the one who jumped about and lost weight.”

“That’s your fault Hokuto.”

I had calmed myself down after his teasing intending to have fun in the pool, but Hokuto had other ideas in mind.  He hid inside the water and kept startling and tackling me, pulling the ties of my swimsuit.  How he must have laughed when I kicked up a fuss each time he teased me.

“Hokuto, you must have been the type to tease the girls you like when you were little.”

“It’s probably still true now.”

“Eh…”

I must not show how happy I am in front of him.  Look, there he goes grinning cheekily again.

“I didn’t know you had such a childish side to you.”

“A child, huh.  If I was a child, then you must be a pervert for looking at my body so lustfully, being an older woman and all.”

“Per- who’s the pervert?  And I wasn’t looking at you lustfully!”

“Heh?  Who was the one who kept staring my body like she wanted to lick every inch of it?”

“Don’t say such weird things!  I was just thinking that for a man around thirty constantly tied to desk-work you have a pretty compact frame,” I say, but I knew my cheeks had turned red just thinking of his body in swimming trunks.  It’s the first time I’ve looked at his naked form under the sun.  The drops of pool water glistened off his skin and the contours of his lean muscles.  I never had the time to look carefully in bed, but to think that his body is so beautiful and firm.

“I thought that you might have needed a regimen to keep your metabolism rates, being middle-aged and all, but it seems I don’t need to worry.”

“You were looking at my body then.  And you’re the one to call me a pervert.”

“That’s…that’s not it!”

As if to fill in the gap between our conversation, harmonious background music started to flow in.  We follow the path to the restaurant’s entrance, where a young woman bows politely to us.

“Good evening Mr. and Mrs. Mamiya.  My name is Cindy and I’ll be taking care of you tonight.”

Wow, what perfect Japanese.  Of course the hotel staff from before was also fluent, but I think they may be better at honorifics than I am.  I suppose that the staff from before is our caretaker in the villa only, and that Cindy will take over from the outside then.  I look at the woman once more.  She’s about my age.  Her long black hair is tied back into a bun, which makes her small face looks even smaller.  She has long arms and legs and is dressed in a smart  uniform, which makes her look all the more beautiful.  …I completely lose out to her.  To put in simple terms, I’m like the average girl decorated in a pretty dress, and she’s a top model wearing Uniqlo (T/N: It’s a clothing brand for plain pieces similar to GAP, but I would have to argue their clothes are way nicer)

However Cindy doesn’t put on an air of superiority whatsoever, and leads us inside.

“Kyaa, it’s amazing!”

Gentle candle lights paint the restaurant’s interior, and the farthest wall is a huge pane of glass that gives a panoramic view of the ocean.  Better put, the beach is right next to us.  The white sands glint against the dusky sky, and the ocean glitters brilliantly as the sun sinks down, as if reluctant to let the last rays of light disappear.

“Where are we seated?”

I hope it’s by the window.  I optimistically ask about, to which Cindy smiles and starts to lead the way.  We follow her to a part of the glass wall until I see a door that leads out to the beach.

“Huh?  I thought we were going to our seats…”

“Just wait,” Hokuto chides.

I tilt my head in question, but continue to follow Cindy.  As I step out onto the sand, Hokuto casually holds his arm out to me.

“Hold on to me.”

“Eh..?”

Is he really offering his arm to me?  Did he do it because he noticed I had trouble walking?  I am almost swept off by his sudden kindness.  I timidly reach out for his left arm with my right hand.  My heart starts to race.  I almost feel like I’m walking down the virgin road with him.  He told me some day he would do it properly, didn’t he.

“Oh no, I’m really not that hungry at all.”

“Eh?  You didn’t eat anything though.”

“Yes, but…”

I’m filled with so much happiness, there’s really nothing else I want at the moment.  I relish these feelings as I continue to crunch down the beach with Hokuto.  Finally, Cindy stops and turns to look at us.

“We’ve prepared special seating for our guests tonight.”

“……!”

I’m unable to voice out my surprise, and swallow quickly instead.  To the place where Cindy is pointing lies a white table set directly on the sand surrounded by countless candles.  It seems like a scene from a fairy tale.  The candle lights flicker on the sand while the first stars in the night sky begin to glitter brightly.  From the distance where the faint sunlight still reflects on the horizon, gentle waves lap at the shore.  It’s quiet sounds cleanse my soul.

“Surprised?” Hokuto asks, amused.

I’m too shocked to form any words.  It’s so beautiful.  So lavish.  To think that we can have this beach and starry sky all to ourselves.

“Anyways, take a seat,” Hokuto smiles wryly, wrapping his arm around my shoulder as I continue to remain bewildered.  Right, anyways, I should….wait a moment!  I finally return to my senses as I’m about to take my seat and cling onto Hokuto’s arm.

“Hokuto, this is enough!  We can’t continue like this!”

“Hah?  What are you spewing?”

“Money is important!”

We must have already spent a lot on this trip.  There’s the traveling expenses, limousine, cruiser, shopping, villa, and a lot of other things.  Despite all that, he’s ordered a lavish dinner like this!

“How much does this extra service cost?  I’m more than happy enough with what I already have.  I don’t need something so extravagant…I’ll definitely be punished later on for this.  With a huge bang.”

“Umm…Mrs. Mamiya…” Cindy attempts to make a comment, but my head is too full of yen marks floating about to take in what she says.

“Hey Hokuto, could you ask her if we can switch to a plainer dinner?  Something less expensive.  Or you know, I could even cook something for you in the villa.”

A crease appears between Hokuto’s brows as his expression becomes grimmer and grimmer.  I’m sorry for declining what you’ve so considerately planned out for me, Hokuto.  I’m actually really happy.  But as your wife, I cannot let you continue on further.  It’s exactly because I know how hard you have to work each and every day to earn money that I don’t want you to spend so much on me.  I’m happy if I can just be together with you.  I continue to appeal to Hokuto when a loud voice suddenly cuts across.

“Mrs. Mamiya, could I please have your attention?”

To my surprise, it was Cindy who interrupted.  I had forgotten that she was with us too.  I kept silent while she contritely continues in her demure tone.

“The seating was actually prepared on behalf of the hotel.  We had inferred that this was a honeymoon trip and had received Mr. Mamiya’s acknowledgement beforehand.”

“Eh?  You mean…”

“The hotel decided to provide this service, so it will not be of additional cost to you.  We apologize for any inconvenience our decision has caused you.”

“Eh…”

I blank out for a moment before paling.  I glance at Hokuto nervously and notice that the furrow between his brows has deepened.  Did I just horribly embarrass him?  Ignoring me, Hokuto quietly seats himself at the table.  Please say something.  You can even yell at me if you want.  It’s the silence that scares me the most.  Whether he has noticed this or not, Hokuto decides to remain silent until the hors d’oeuvres arrive.  Even when I venture, ‘Isn’t this yummy?’, he does not reply.  He seems set on remaining taciturn.  This is super awkward.  I cannot properly savor the delicious looking aperitif nor taste the seafood salad appetizer.  I gulp down my drink in hopes of clearing the nervousness blocking my throat and peek at Hokuto.  He looks composed as always, handling the dinnerware with a practiced air.  But his expression when he feels my glance!  He’s pasted an smile on his lips, but it doesn't quite reach his eyes.

“What’s wrong, hurry and eat.  It’s a special menu the hotel especially put together for us.”

“Uh…”

“You don’t seem to have much of an appetite.  If you wish, should we ask for a cheaper course?  Like takuan?” (T/N: Takuan is pickled daikon radish, I think it’s quite tasty actually)    


“No…”

“Honestly, how can you go twisting the truth about and cursing at someone.  Did you really think I proposed the idea to have a candlelight dinner on the beach?  How romantic of you to think so.”

It makes more sense now that he says it aloud.  Hokuto is a no-nonsense type of person, the complete opposite of romantic heroes in girly fantasies.  If I had only stopped to think about it, I would have determined that this was not his idea, but…

“…I’m sorry, for not understanding you better.”

“Hmm…I guess I was the same too.”

“What do you mean?”  I stop eating and asked.

Hokuto turns away from me towards the ocean and lets out a soft sigh.

“I thought that tonight’s preparations would make you happy.  That’s why I gave the staff approval when they suggested it.  But I was wrong.  I should have known you were the more down-to-earth type.”

“Hokuto…”

I fix my eyes on him.  Hokuto, are you disappointed?  You’re not just angry about me embarrassing you, are you.  That’s right, you were trying your best to make me happy.  I place my knife and fork back on the table and take a deep breath.

“Hey Hokuto?  That’s not really true.”

“What isn’t?”

“I indeed have a down-to-earth character, but that’s because of the poor surroundings I grew up in.  But I am really pleased by all of this.  It’s the first time I’ve experienced something so romantic.  I’m really moved by it.”

“Then why…”

“You’ve already helped my father so much, and I just wanted to tell you that it’s alright not to lavish me with such luxurious things.  Because to me, the highest luxury is being together with you.”

The eyes that reflect the very depths of the black oceans flicker to me, trapping me in his gaze.  I was nervous when saying that, but Hokuto stays silent.  Well…I’m probably asking too much if I had expected him to be back in good spirits so soon.  I pick up my fork again when Hokuto suddenly stands up.  Did I say something bad again?  So much so that he’s going to walk off in the middle of dinner?

“Hoku…”

I immediately call out to stop him, but it seems he has something else in mind.  He has walked around the table to stand behind me.

“Hokuto?”

“Close your eyes.  Don’t open them until I say so.”

“Eh?  Umm..ok.”

I don’t understand what’s going on, but do as he says.  I’ve already blundered enough.  I close my eyes until Hokuto whispers from behind my ears.

“Alright.”

I slowly open my eyes, when something shiny jumps out at me.

“This…!”

I unconsciously let out a squeal.  A dainty necklace lies on the top of my chest.  Is the shining pendant dangling on the thin platinum chain a diamond?  It’s so big!  It must be at least two carats.  It’s a round brilliant cut and the pellucidity grade is excellent.

“This isn’t your Christmas present.  It was your birthday present.”

“The one in the unopened box you took back?  That one?”

“Yea, that necklace.  I wasn’t thinking of you when I bought it and I wanted to properly rebuy you something else, so I gave it to Souma.  But when I brought it to the company, she scolded me and told me not to give expensive accessories as presents to any other woman besides my wife.”

Good job Souma-san!  Thank you for declining!

“There was nothing else I could do with it, so I threw it somewhere in the office.  But when I came on this business trip, I found it in my luggage for some reason.  And finally when I didn’t see the other president but you instead and learned that this was all of Souma’s doing, I finally understood why the necklace was there.”

Hokuto pauses, and suddenly his tone changes. 

“When you told me time and time again that you didn’t want expensive things in the limousine, or when we were shopping, or even now, I honestly didn’t know what to do with it,” he says as he carelessly fiddles with the pendant.

“Hey, what are you doing?  What if you scratch it…?!”

“I won’t, it’s a diamond,” he says lightly, but I’m still worried.

I lift it up and stare at it so intensely I become a bit cross-eyed.  Hmm…it looks okay.  Finally I loosen up when Hokuto hugs me from behind.

“Ho-Hokuto?”

He holds me snugly in his arms, where I can feel his body heat and breaths against my bare skin.  My body temperature rises immensely.

“Because I’m reusing this, it doesn’t cost me any extra money.  Would you forgive me, my frugal wife?”

“Forgive you…” my voice breaks unnaturally in the middle of answering.  The glittering lights of the diamond begin to blur as my eyes tear up.  What are you saying, Hokuto.  How can I not forgive you.  No, that’s not what I want to say.

“…I’m so happy I almost feel like crying.”

“You’re already crying.”

I turn around slowly and meet Hokuto’s gaze.  How gentle his eyes are.  As calm and gentle as the sounds the lapping waves are making right now.  I don’t know if I lean towards to him first, or him to me, but soon our lips meet in a long but gentle kiss.

“I love you.”

Instead of replying, Hokuto gives me a gentle peck.

“…I want a deeper kiss.”

It’s like a dream-world here, where the starry skies and ocean belongs only to the two of us.  Such a gentle kiss doesn’t bring justice to it at all.  I try to coax him by nibbling his lips a bit, but he only smiles weakly back at me.

“I can’t.”

And then he points to…

“Cin—Cindy-san?!” I squeak, frozen to the spot. 

She stands off to the side holding plates of soup, gazing down at the floor embarrassedly.  How long has she been standing there?  Did she hear what we said?  Did she see us?  Ahh…I’m so embarrassed I wish the ground would open and swallow me up!  I immediately push Hokuto away, and he returns to his seat, unperturbed by what has happened.  He continues speaking.

“I would love to take you up on your offer of kissing, but we would be rude to the chef for letting the soup go cold.”

“Just when did you notice Cindy-san standing there?”

“I noticed just now.  Just now.”

Liar, that was definitely a lie!  And if he says it isn’t, then what’s that smile doing there dangling off his lips?  He’s always like this.  With the same lips that he whispers sweet words with and kisses me gently with, he’s teases me again and again.  Urgh, I need to get drunk.  Once I’m drunk, perhaps I can forget all my embarrassment and distress.  I drain my glass of wine in one go.  The flavor lights my eyes up.

“Delicious!  Cindy-san, what kind of wine is this?”

“Ah, yes, Mrs. Mamiya.  This is a local wine made from the grapes grown on this island.  I don’t believe it’s shipped to Japan on a wide-scale.”

“Really?  Then I must buy some back as gifts.”

I had really intended on getting drunk, but now I’m all cheerful.  Hokuto chuckles softly as he looks at me.

“I see someone has finally return to good spirits.”

“Why not?  Better than being angry all the time.”

Cindy’s almond-shaped eyes softened at our exchange.

“You two look like lovebirds.”

“Do…do you really think so?!” I lean out to her.

Lovebirds!  It’s actually ok to be acknowledged as thus on this island.

“Yea, we get along well,” Hokuto says fondly.

What beautiful scenery and delicious food and wine.  And sitting across from me smiling over his empty wine glass is my proud, playful, devoted husband.  What a lovely evening!  Just as I look up, a shooting star races across the night sky.  I hold up the wine glass to the sky Cindy has so kindly refilled for me.

“What are you doing?”

“Hehe…wishing upon a star.”

“What’s with the hehe.  Are you drunk already?”

“No way!  How can I get drunk on this?  I used to be a hostess, you know!”  I toast to the stars and hold the glass to my lips.

Please let me be with Hokuto forever and ever.

I drink my wine in one go and hold out the glass to Cindy-san again.

“Umm…excuse me for saying this, but isn’t the missus going a bit fast…”

“Hey, stop gulping down your wine.”

It seems like both Cindy and Hokuto has said something, but my head feels light and airy and I can't hear them very well.  Ah…it feels so great right now.  I feel like I’m floating on clouds.

“I’m fine, I’m fine.”

I take the bottle from the hesitant Cindy and pour some more for myself.  What glass am I on again?  I don’t really remember anymore.  Hmm?  Why’s Hokuto ‘s voice becoming loud and soft at the same time?  His face is also twisting and warping in different angles.

“Hahaha…Hokuto, you look funny….”


Sorry I have to cut off here, but this is were the break between Chiwa and Hokuto's point of view happens.  So next, we'll have Hokuto telling a part of the story, but I don't think it's very long (probably up until the part where she wakes up from her drunken stupor).  I apologize for the long wait in between updates, but life gets in the way as usual.  I hope you enjoy this entry as much as I had fun translating it.  I absolutely love how assertive Chiwa is in here sometimes.  She's the one voicing out that she wants him, the one who asks for more than gentle kissing, and the one who's so honest with him.  I wish she was more like that in the manga really, not always acting the passive creature in the relationship.  And Souma, as always, is super awesome~

I didn't know what a round brilliant cut was for diamonds until I googled it.  It seems to be the most common cut form with 58 facets.  It was so sweet of him to retain the gift.  Or rather, so sweet of Souma.  She finally got a rock!  Now just one more on her finger (cross my fingers for a wedding in the last chapter of the manga).

Lastly, thank you for reading as always.  Comments and criticisms are always welcome.

-whisperpuppies  

13 comments:

  1. Thank you so much. I love it . OMG Hokuto is so sweet :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update!!!! The wait was indeed all worth it!! ^^ This spiced up my uber boring day..

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the update. at last I have experience of reading an update of Hokuto and Chiwa having a romantic dinner date

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know huh, it's like the novelized form grants us all the things we wish would happen in the manga. I'm so glad I decided to read it.

      Delete
  4. zOMG, Whisperpuppies! *Squeeeeee~ How did you feel when you were reading this novel? Man, I think I should stop reading this because it's painting up a picture of an "ideal" husband... One that I'm afraid I might not get in some future far far away. *Cries. Curse my hormones... and now to shower and start off my day. Thank you so much for the update! It was well worth the wait. And don't beat yourself up on the updates/promises. I should be sending you care packages and boxes of chocolate and words like: "Power Uppu!" :)

    Take care, Whisperpuppies! Have a Happy Easter (even if you don't celebrate it)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks. Happy Easter to you too. I don't celebrate it, but it's nice to stuff myself with chocolates anyways, hehe. Haha, don't stop reading! I feel like all the characters in chick- lit novels have pretty much destroyed my chances have finding an ideal husband too, Hokuto is just another one of them.

      Delete
  5. thank you for the update .it cheered me up a lot

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG ~!! thank youuu! it's getting so exciting !

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you whisperpuppies!!! :) I think the right term is frugal not thrifty! hahaha! Chiwa's view on money is very out of ordinary. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I changed it, thank you! Sometimes I just can't think of the correct word and I know it's lurking out there somewhere. The thesaurus is always my best friend during translating~

      If you happen to find anymore places that could be worded better, please let me know (either in this post, past posts, or future ones).

      Delete
  8. Thanks Whisperpuppies!!! Oh Hokuto so sweet.... :)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm happy to see this development.
    Thank you for translating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many thanks for the update. I spent a happy Easter by reading and editing the picture, I do so much love, but I have not asked permission to use photos if you do not seem right please let me know.
    The photos I upload to my page:
    http://www.facebook.com/Rosamarg3/photos
    Are all the photos that I edited, if you like are all at your disposal.

    A very affectionate greeting.

    ReplyDelete