Thursday, September 26, 2013

Dear Brother Chapter 12 Summary

So I was really confused by this chapter, between Momo confessing and not confessing, and had to go back to the previous chapter to see if she actually admitted out loud that she likes Sougo. The "family secret" wasn't that exciting...I would actually say it's rather commonplace- but if you guessed that Momo and Sougo are not related, then you're correct! Anyways...on with the summary (or more like page by page line by line translation~ I've found that my summaries are getting less and less summary-like as I write). By the way, italics are Momo's thoughts (and yes, those are directly translated too!)

Starting from the last chapter...


Momo: Sorry...I fell in love with you.  I'm sorry...


His silence...scathes my heart.



Momo: Ah? Eh?  Sougo niichan!


I feel like even his back is rejecting me...almost as if telling me not to ever call him "Sougo-niichan" anymore.

Meanwhile at home, Gin had already sit Aoba down for a talk about what Aoba overheard. Once the two return home, Aoba is relieved to see Sougo back, but Sougo turns away. Later that night, Sougo seeks Gin, telling him that he wants to move out for a while.

Gin: Is it...because of that child from the Honda family? And of the complications with Momo?

Sougo: There's that too. But before I move out, please don't tell Aoba or Momo.

Gin: Wait! Can't we talk this out? Didn't we say that we have to help Momo find her happiness together?

Sougo: Of course, but that doesn't necessarily mean we have to live together.

Gin: Why...

Sougo: Sorry. I can't help nii-san to realize your dream of living together in this home.

On another day after work, Gin goes out to meet Momo at a cafe to talk.

Gin: I see...so Honda-san didn't go to work then.

Momo: Yea...I don't think she wants to see me. Maybe we just have to wait for time to pass, then...

Gin: About that Momo...Sougo says he wants to move out.

Momo: When...when did he say he wanted to move out?

Gin: He said soon. I wanted to know what happened between you and Sougo.


Momo: Sorry..it's my fault. Sorry...

Gin: So.....you...confessed to him....

Momo: You must be disgusted by me...

Gin: Eh? No...not that...I'm just surprised.  Momo, what do you want to do?

Meanwhile at home, Aoba finds a leaflet for a summer festival and goes find Sougo, who's packing.

Aoba: Look at this! Isn't this the festival we went to when we were small? I still remember that I dropped my sandals in the river, and mom and dad scolded you guys a lot afterwards. It's next Sunday, let's go together?

Sougo: That's right...

When Aoba sees his bags, he asks Sougo if he's going on a business trip, to which Sougo vaguely says yes. Momo and Gin come back, and Aoba quickly shows Momo the leaflet, but she's in no mood to entertain him. When Momo sees the bags on the floor, she directly confronts Sougo.

Momo: So I heard you're moving out?

Aoba: Huh?

Sougo: ...did nii-san tell you?

Momo: Don't try to hide this from us and then disappear without a word. Even though I have no right to stop you, if you leave before I've settled down then...

Sougo: Momo...

Aoba: Just wait a minute!


Aoba: What...? Why are you moving out? So are you choosing the Honda family and that sister over us? Or do you like living with siblings you've already lived with for a few years better?

Momo: Aoba? That's not it...


Aoba: Or do you have no feelings whatsoever for siblings who're not related to you by blood?

What...what did he just say?

Aoba: Even though I was shocked when I first heard about it, once I thought it through, I still feel like this is my true home. And I thought that if we started living together, then it'll be just like the old times. But I guess I'm the only one who feels this way and Sougo-niichan doesn't...if you wanted to act the older brother so half-heartedly, then you shouldn't have come back at all. And...

Gin (slaps Aoba): Aoba! You idiot, you have to know when's the appropriate time to say things and when to shut up.

Sougo: Enough, nii-san. Since now that it's out in the open, I can only say I can't become a true family with you guys.

Gin: Sougo! Don't you get started too.

Momo: Everyone...what are you guys talking about? I don't understand a word...

Gin: We're children from both sides of the family. When we were little, our father remarried our mother. Sougo and I are both kids from our father's side, and Momo is from our mother's side. Aoba is the only one who's from both our mom and dad. That's to say, Sougo and I and you are both only half-related to Aoba. But...Sougo and I have absolutely no blood ties with Momo.


Aoba: Momo...

Momo: I'm fine..but excluding Aoba, have Gin-niisan and Sougo-niisan always known?

Sougo: Yea...

Momo: I..see...sorry, I want to be by myself for a bit.

Sougo: Momo...

Aoba: Do you care?

Sougo: You're right Aoba. I'm sorry for being half-hearted. Since tomorrow's an off-day, I'll finish packing and leave.

Aoba: Do whatever you want.

As each turn to leave the room, Gin happens on a very crumpled up leaflet on the floor. Meanwhile, Momo reflects on what just happened.

I've already lost everything. Even that little right, that right to call him my sibling has disappeared. But Sougo-niisan knew from the start. He didn't reject me because we were related. It doesn't even matter who I am...he'll still reject me. Although Sakura-san told me that she was only my replacement, I'm not sure what she was replacing...since I'm not even his true sister. If I were to sleep, can I turn all of this back? Back to the time where we were all naive...who can help me turn back time?



Who's there? Please don't disturb me...I only want to sleep. Don't wake me...

When Momo wakes up the next morning, she rushes to the kitchen to ask Gin where Sougo is, to which he replies that Sougo had just left. Gin asks if Momo brought the leaflet back, and Aoba asks if it wasn't Gin who did, but Gin denies too. It turns out that Sougo was the one who did...and that perhaps he had wanted all of them to go to the summer festival in the first place. Realizing that, Aoba and Momo dash out to find Sougo before he boards the train. All the way, Momo's blaming herself for confessing, for if she hadn't done so, they would all be happily at the festival next week. Not knowing which platform Sougo would be boarding on, they run wildly through the station calling out his name, and discover him on an opposing platform.


Aoba: Sougo-niichan! I'm sorry! I said some really stupid things yesterday, I apologize! Even if you won't forgive me, I'll still treat you as my family!


Aoba: I'm really really sorry!


Momo: Sougo-niisan! I know I can't take back what I said, but no matter what, I'll always be your sister!


Momo: That's the only thing that will never change, so...

Of course the approaching train cuts them off, and by the time it runs again, they're faced with an empty platform.



Aoba: Let's go back.

The reason why Sougo-niisan wanted to go to the summer festival with us, the reason why he would love a totally unrelated girl like me as a sister, the reason why he's so stubborn about the promise he made with mom...the me at that time couldn't have fathomed why.


Momo: Aoba...let's go to the festival.

7 comments:

  1. どうもありがとうございました。m(_ _)m Thank you for continuing to translate though a lot of the story so far is repetition.

    Nearly every chapter so far have had Sougo either leaving or threatening to leave, though this is the first time that Momo hasn't managed to stop him.

    While looking at the chinese scanlations, before reading your summary, I couldn't help but feel very sorry for Aoba; he looked so upset. And that feeling didn't abate as I read your summary. Aoba is the youngest, and per the revelation, the only one who is related to eveyone else. And yet, intentionally or not in this chapter Sougo rejects even him.

    However, someone I didn't expect to feel sorry for was Gin. I have always felt that he truly lives up to the big brother role, but until Sougo apologized for not being able to fullfill Gin's dream of everyone living together, I never realized just how much effort Gin has invested in keeping them a family. While it has clearly been difficult for Sougo to keep up the pretense, all the while knowing that he has no relation to Momo, I feel it must have been equally difficult for Gin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know huh! I wish the Petit editor for Enjouji would step up his/her game in editing. I've never seen one of the author's series so bland :( As of now, I still don't have any urge to purchase the series..

      Delete
  2. thank you, as always, for the translation!

    i wonder why sougo left his family like that .(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks alot!!!! I think Sougo is going to get something worked out and when he returns he will tell Momo he loves her to. I just hope she anit involved with the work parter of Sougo. It just feel likes that the way it is going, I think something is up did you notice the smile he had. I think the only thing keeping him from taking Momo is the promise he made the mother!!! Looking forward the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kikou ... ^^
    Tks you so much to continue the summaries even if for you I think you're still not very into the story ... but for me with this last developpments I'm really anticipating your next summaries ... I really do hope that the author can surprise us with the flow of the story ... for me right now I was surprised by the turn of the family context ... I mean I was quasi sure that Sougo & Momo were not related because Sougo was an adopted son ... but it turns out that the family situation were different !!! ..... So let us continue to give to this story a chance ^^
    in all cases .... tks you so much ^^
    Bises ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank u for the summary .. I m really in love with every single works of Enjouji and i really appreciate it that you take out time and do all the hard work for us .. Arigatou :)

    PS when is the next chapter coming ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank u for the summary

    ReplyDelete