Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hapi Mari Novel: Update 4


The place that Hokuto brings me to is an avenue that cuts through the heart of the island.  Designer shops line both sides of the road, making me feel as if I were in Beverly Hills.  There seems to be a lot of foreign tourists milling about.  While walking with Hokuto, I looked about my surroundings, only to find them devoid of local flavour.  The palm trees that set off against the blue skies seem exotic, but the ambience and names of the shops are those that I often see in Japan.  Though having said that, they are not shops that I frequent.  Seeing how I don't enter the shops, Hokuto gazes down at me curiously.

"What's wrong?"

"If I'm going to shop, I want to buy things that the locals produce here."

Things like vibrant casual clothes that look naturally cute, unique interior items and other knickknacks.  Things that have been introduced in traveling programs in Japan often.  Things that have become almost a staple in souvenirs for others.

"Besides the things here are too expensive.  I would be broke if I had to buy a complete week's of clothing here."

Ignoring my words, Hokuto turns to the nearest shop.

"Hokuto?  Did you hear me?"

"Yes, and so?"

He looks at me as if my worries were meaningless and enters the shop.  Inside, a smartly dressed salesperson greets me.  He's the professionally-trained type who doesn't treat any customers with weird looks, even if she is wearing a knit-dress in the middle of summer.  I start sweating nervously when he respectfully bows down.  No matter how I look at it, this is way beyond my means.

"Hokuto, let's go to another pla-"

"Stop grumbling and hurry and decide.  It's more efficient to shop here since it's on the way to the hotel.  We can go shopping another day for the things you want to buy."

"Efficient..."

I'm speechless.  I know he's a pragmatist, but there are just things that should not be said.  When a girl shops, she will browse and browse, consider and consider, and sometimes exit the store without buying anything.  And then she may go back once again just to do the same.  The very antithesis of "efficiency".

"Hokuto, you're not very good with going out with girls," the words pop out before I realize it.  I see the veins pop in his temple in reaction.  He glares at me icily, as if I were some wanted criminal.  Ignoring my retreating form, he quickly instructs the salesperson.

"What did you tell him?"

"Don't tell me you don't understand simple English."

"Eh?  That was English just now?"

I wonder if my English is really that bad, if I couldn't even tell what he spoke.  Hokuto presses his hand to his forehead.

"Your English skills are catastrophic.  You should have told me earlier.  In a worldly tourist spot like this, English tends to work more or less most of the time.  And I thought it would be ok if we go separately to places from time to time."

"But...but if Souma-san had told me earlier, I would have brought an English phrase book with me," I mumble begrudgingly.  Meanwhile, the salesperson has returned with a few sets of clothing in his arms.

"I asked him to choose something that would fit my wife," Hokuto explains.

"Wife...meaning me?"

"Who else would there be?"

That's true.  Whenever he introduces me as his wife, I always break into a smile.   In order to keep up his image as company president, he has never openly introduced as as a couple.  But since this is a shop in a foreign island, it's alright to do so.  Still grinning like an idiot, I pick out one of the salesperson's selections.  It's a feminine flowing dress colored in shades of white and pink.

"It's so cute!"

I clasp my hands together in happiness, forgetting about the price of it.  In that moment, Hokuto readily told the salesperson, "We'll take this."

"Eh?!" I squeal.  It's true that it looks amazing, but I haven't said I wanted to buy it.  Or more like...it's not a price I can afford.  It's a designer dress after all.  Back when I was a hostess, my colleague had showed off another dress by this designer to me.  It had cost her 300,000 yen.  (It's about $3678, or ₤2312)
This dress certainly does not lose out to that one...meaning it has to be the same price or even higher.  My heart thumps at the thought, my head swims.

"Wait!  I don't want it!" I shout out quickly in Japanese.  Not understanding, the salesperson only raises his eyebrows.  How do you say 'I'm not buying' in English again?  I dissolve into panic.  The salesperson says something in English, and Hokuto replies back the same.

"Hokuto, what did he say?"

"He asked if you wanted to try it on, but I declined.  We don't have time, and plus I know your size."

"How can you say something so embarrassing with a straight face!  More importantly, I don't want to buy it!" I complain red-faced, but Hokuto pretends not to have heard me.  The salesperson holds up another set of clothing to me.  Ignoring me completely, Hokuto chooses set after set for me.  Tailored shirts and jackets, blouses, skirts, pants, sandals, everything that screams luxury at first glance.  When the salesperson brings yet something else for me, I finally find the strength to stop him.

"No thank you!" I say loudly in English.  I'm not sure if he understood me, but I know I've conveyed the feeling that I don't want anymore.  The salesperson looks gobsmacked when I hold out my hand in decline, and Hokuto asks me unhappily, "Why?"

"It's more than enough!"

I pick the least expensive dress to change into, and run out of the store in the new sandals.  If I had continued to stay inside, I would inevitably buy more and more.  Hokuto isn't the type to refuse me anything.  I wait outside the shop while Hokuto finishes paying.  He comes out hands filled with shopping bags.  The brand names glitter brilliantly in the sun, making me feel light-headed.

"...Thank you.  But from now on, I decide on what to buy.  You focus on translating for me."

"Do whatever you like."

He's in a bad mood.  But I can't help it.  He has already shouldered my father's debt and I don't want to eat  into his money anymore.  I know how hard Hokuto has to work for it.  I try to pick out the cheapest underwear and cosmetics as I walk around the designer shopping district.  Still, these are way more expensive than the ones I usually buy for myself.

"Phew, I finally have everything I need.  I'm so tired."

I'm more tired mentally than physically though, mainly because things would be awful if I didn't spend carefully, although there's the problem of communication barriers too.

"Thanks for tagging along Hokuto.  Let's go to the hotel and unwind," I say.

Unexpectedly, Hokuto replies, "We still have more shopping to do."

"More shopping?  I have clothes, cosmetics, underwear..."

"Don't tell me you are going to skip out on swimming at a beach resort."

"Ahhh...swimsuit!"

I totally forgot.  It would be a waste to vacation in a tropical island without going swimming.  Since I'm just one more step away from finishing, I decide to hang in there.

"Doesn't that one look nice?" Hokuto points to a mannequin inside the shop we enter next.  I look at the swimsuit and then look at Hokuto.

"Men love white, don't they."

Is it because white looks innocent and pure?  Men are so idealistic.

"I didn't expect you to be one of the crowd, Hokuto," I laugh.

Hokuto's temple twitches at this.  He folds his arm forcefully and smiles wickedly.

"You're right.  Since I'm just like any other man, I want to see a sexy swimsuit."

"Huh?"

"I'll be disappointed if you pick a conservative one.  If you do, I may lose interest in you.  Even relationships that last over a hundred years cool off."

"If even those cool off, then our two year one will be blown out of the water!"

"It might," Hokuto's smile widens at my flustered expression.  "So do your best.  Entice me."

"Entice...?"

There he goes again saying such crude things.  I wonder if it's because there aren't people we know here, or because few people can understand Japanese, but I feel that Hokuto is easing up.  It's good to relax, but he should really put himself in my shoes.  Though having said that...it's not all that bad to openly act lovey-dovey once in a while.  I browse around carefully and pick out two swimsuits.  Looking at one of them, Hokuto narrows his gaze as if ready to make fun of me.

"Hmmm...how daring of you."

"It's...it's not as if I was answering to your wishes," I say, though I had kept it in the back of my mind.  I try the swimsuit on in the fitting room, and covering myself with the curtain, I gesture for Hokuto to come see.  His eyes seem to have widened a bit, but I may be imagining things.

"What do you think...?  Maybe it is a bit too bold."

"...there isn't enough."

"Ah, I thought so too.  Too little cloth..."

"No, I meant meat."

"Meat?!"

Does he mean my chest and bottom?  I fiercely yank the curtains close.  I pull off the nude colored swimsuit that is at least two sizes too small for me and fling it aside.  What does he mean?  I've been working hard to keep what I have ever since he told me that he doesn't like models whose hipbones stick out.  So do I still not have enough?  I see.  So that's how it is!  As I frustratedly change into the other swimsuit, I hear Hokuto whisper something on the other side of the curtain.

"Does she plan to be seen by other men like that..."

"Did you say something?'

"No."

I couldn't hear well because of the rustling, but he's probably saying something bad anyways.  I show him the swimsuit with more cloth next, but he cuts me off abruptly with "lame".

"So what do you want then?!" I shout out.  He promptly hands me another swimsuit.

"This?"

"Yea..."

I wanted desperately to make a comeback, but the words seem to evaporate from the tip of my tongue.  He's holding up a halter neck bikini with ribbons that tie at the hips.  It's a vibrant marine blue color decorated with hibiscus flowers and tropical leaves.  Sexy and mature, but also refreshing.  Just the perfect thing to wear for vacationing on this island.

"Amaz--"

Wait, I shouldn't praise him.

"Not bad," I opt for instead.  The size is just right when I try it on.  I wonder how I could have missed this outside.

"...I'll take this one," I say upon exiting the fitting room, earning a smug look from Hokuto.

After we finished shopping, we go to the harbour in the limousine.  The hotel isn't on this island supposedly, but on a smaller island close by and we would have to take a ship there.  I follow Hokuto to the docks, where small cruisers line up one by one.  He steps onto one of them.

"Get on.  I want to head out as early as possible."

"Eh?  Get on...you mean this?"

I hesitate, looking at the pretty white ships that sparkle in the ocean.  Both the cabin and deck are quite small.  I thought there would be a hotel liner, but I don't see a captain or any other guests.  My reluctance must have shown.

"I chartered it."

"Charter?  Can you even pilot this thing, Hokuto?"

"I love sailing."

I'm amazed, but then again Hokuto seems to like driving.  Unlike me who suffered to get a driving license, he had even worked for a sailing permit.  I gawp at the cruiser while Hokuto hurries to load the cabin with our shopping bags.  Seeing my luggage on the ship finally makes the situation seem real.  This cruiser is reserved just for me and Hokuto.  And we're going to sail out to the green and blue glimmering ocean.  It seems just like a scene from a movie!

"This is my first time!"

"Are you a kid?  Getting so excited about a ship."

"You were raised in a fishing town, but I'm a city girl!"

"Alright, alright," Hokuto smiles at me wryly, extending a hand to me.  "Come here."

My heart skips a beat when I see his smile reflect in the sun.  I've never seen him like this before.  So gentle and wide open, almost like a child.  I bet he doesn't ever show this face at the company.  Can I flatter myself that this expression is only for me to see?  I take his outstretched hand and grasp tightly, crossing from the dock onto the deck.  I wobble a bit on my sandals, but Hokuto firmly holds me up.

"You shouldn't have bought sandals with heels."

"Maybe I shouldn't," I say, but am secretly glad I did.  Hokuto will hold me up whenever I stumble.

"I feel like being spoiled by you right now," I say the words I never dare to say back home.  It's alright today.  It's alright for this week.  Upon hearing it, Hokuto turns back from the direction of the piloting area chuckling.

"Don't say things like that.  I can't afford to be distracted while sailing the cruiser."

"It's ok once in a while to be distracted," I say purposely to tease him back for what he did earlier that afternoon.  Hokuto smiles wickedly.

"Be prepared once we get there then."

...Maybe I shouldn't have said it after all.

The ship finally sets sail once it lets my timid self on.  I press my forehead against the glass, feeling the vibrations of the waves we cut through.  The ocean and sky seem to blend together, and I see shades of blue everywhere.  There's the port basking in the heat haze, and the trail of white foam on the water's surface as we sail across.  Everything in my vision sparkles charmingly under the sun.  It's so beautiful!  So absorbed by the scenery around me, I hadn't noticed that we're getting farther and farther away from the main island.

"Hey Hokuto, can I go out to the deck?"

"Sure, but don't fall over."

I struggle on my heels to the deck when I feel the wind whip my hair up.  The scenery is more vibrant without the pane of glass separating me.  I can feel the spray of water carried with the wind onto my skin, the strong aroma of salt.  I'm experiencing this island with all my senses.  I take a deep breath and turn to face Hokuto in the cabin.

"I'm having so much fun right now!" I yell out.

"Huh?  Did you say something?"

He doesn't seem to have heard over the humming of the motor.  His voice also disappears along with the wind and motor's thrum over time.  But I continue to shout.

"Hokuto!"

"I said I can't hear you."

"I LOVE YOU!"

Did he hear it?  I think he looked at me for a moment, but I'm not sure since I can't see through the bright lights glittering off the waves.  But whatever.  It was just something I wanted to say.  I dreamily close my eyes and savor the light seeping inside my eyelids.  I wonder what Hokuto's expression will be.  Surprised?  Puzzled?  Or filled with adoration?  I open my eyes momentarily to look at him, but his expression was not any of the things I had imagined.  For some reason, he's grinning.  His lips move as if to tell me something.

"Eh?  What did you say?  I can't hear!" I place my hands to my ears to show him, and he begins once again.

"Pervert!"

"...huh?"

Did I hear wrong?  I must have, right?  He wears an expression of amusement at my puzzled face.  Then saying nothing, he repeatedly points at my legs.  Prompted, I look down to see...

"Ah....AHHHHH!" I shriek and rush to hold my dress down.  How could this happen!  While I was soaking up the ambience, the wind had whipped my dress up.  And it's not only to my underwear, but all the way to my belly button.  What underwear am I wearing again?  Oh my god, it's the cheap ones with zero sex appeal.  I had worn them because I thought there would be no one to see with Hokuto out on his business trip, but now of all things, he's the exact one seeing them!  I escape from the wind back into the cabin to see Hokuto grinning evilly.

"So the dog has behaved even with the cat away."

"........!"  I turn to Hokuto and raise my fists.

"If you say any more, I'll hit you!"

"You're already hitting me.  It's dangerous, quit it!"

I finally calm down a bit when I hear his panicked voice.  Fine, I'll forgive you since you have to pilot.  Sighing in relief as he turns back to the front, Hokuto says wryly, "We're always like this, aren't we.  Always restless."

"But that's the fun of it.  Having all these silly fights."

It's something I can't do without you here.

"I like it," I say.

"I guess it isn't bad."

"Oh, just be honest, you like it too," I chide.

Soon I could see the small isle.  It's about one hour away from the main island.  Admist the lush verdant landscape, I can slowly see the harbour and the wooden buildings dotted here and there.

"The hotel consists of the whole island, and that villa over there is where we're staying."

"You reserved the entire house?"

"Completely separate buildings was the selling point of the hotel.  There are ten villas total, and we can enjoy our time comfortably without being bothered by the other guests."

"Eh, I see..."

Can we really relax here though?  Such a special hotel seems to be designed for the uppity people, completely out of my reach.

"I had thought Souma picked a weird place to receive the other company's president.  It's too strange for two men to spend time together in a villa."

Hokuto doesn't notice my insecurity and skillfully parks the cruiser in the port.  We can go straight to the hotel entrance since the hotel staff will take care of the rest of the things for us, including bringing our luggage.  Flowers adorn both sides of the paved path from the port to the entrance, its colors and sweet smells welcoming the guests.  Following the vividly colored butterflies fluttering about, I see a gentle path sloping to a building that looks like the entrance.  Pebbled steps lead up to the building supported by beautifully grained pillars.  It's decorated to fit the modern Asian's taste, and no matter how I look at it, I can feel the luxury seeping into my skin.  I start climbing the steps, looking at the thick beams of the roof once there.  I let out a dreamy sigh.

"It's beautiful..."

"I'm glad you like it," Hokuto smiles as he wraps his arm around my shoulder.

"Eh, Hokuto?"

"Yes?"

"This may sound cheesy, but don't laugh.  When you're so gentle and honest, I'm a bit shocked, or rather scared..." I unintentionally put up walls around myself.

Hokuto looks at me sullenly.

"Didn't you say you want to be spoiled before?  Well I feel like spoiling you."

--what...what?  I never thought Hokuto would say these things to me.  Caught off guard, my heart starts racing wildly and I'm rendered speechless.  Is it because of this sultry heat that he's acting like this?  If so, tropical islands rock!  Still shivering from his words, I enter the doors where a gentle mannered staff greets us.  Hokuto converses to him in English while I wait, curiously surveying the interior.  Suddenly the staff turns to me and starts speaking in fluent Japanese.

"Mrs. Mamiya, we've assigned a person who can speak Japanese to your villa, so please feel free to call her if you need anything."

"Eh?" I unconciously voiced out.

Hokuto adds, "I told them you can't speak English.  Including this person, there seems to be a few staff members who can speak Japanese."

"That's not..."

It's not because the staff can speak Japanese that I spoke.

"You said Mrs. Mamiya..."

That's what he called me, right?  Mr. Mamiya means Hokuto...and that means he acknowledges me as his wife.  Mrs. Mamiya, what a nice ring to it!

"You told him I'm your wife."

"I already told you during shopping, there's no need to hide it here."

When I saw his wry smile, my vision starts to blur.  For this one week in this tropical island, I don't have to hold back from anyone and can stand proudly as Hokuto's wife.

"Hey, why are you crying?"

"Because I'm happy.  Mrs. Mamiya, I'm Mrs. Mamiya, Hokuto's wife..."

Hokuto catches his breath and pulls me close to him with his left arm.

"Idiot.  Your place will always be here."

Here, next to Hokuto's left side.

"Someday, I'll do it properly."

"Hokuto..."

I wonder if I'll get a chance to stand next to Hokuto in front of the altar one day.  Where we exchange our vows of love and receive the blessings of many people.  Is Hokuto also thinking of that future day too?

"...Alright!" I smile up at Hokuto and blink away my tears.  Vacationing on this island rules!

This is a monster!  I've never sat down and translated so much in two sittings.  And I've finally found that there are chapters, but it's just not listed normally as it would be in an English book.  There are these really inconspicuous line breaks that signifies when one chapter opens and another ends.  I was so filled with happy feelings while reading, I almost don't want to see what the next chapter of the monthly series bring for April.  It's bound to be depressing, no matter what the scenario is.  


Did I ever gush about this manga called "oishii kankei"?  I just clicked on it one day, and omg, is the story good.  It's a really old manga, so the drawings are very 1990's style, but the story really shines through.  The art gets better though.  I'm on chapter 30 now.  It's very realistic, and there are so many descriptions of delicious French cuisine.  I love food porn.  Haha.  I've learned a lot of new food terms as well~  Did anyone see the drama?  It's a 1996 one, so I figured it would be hard to find and dl.  If anyone has watched it before, tell me if it's good and worth the effort to go hunting for.


Lastly, thank you for reading as always, and feel free to drop me a line.  It can be critique, things about the story, or anything else.


-whisperpuppies

23 comments:

  1. Whisperpuppies, I love you! You translate like a boss! :D

    I have placed "Oishii Kankei" on my wishlist for a while, so hearing your heart-felt recommendation is making me think that I should start reading it.

    Thanks for my bedside story! Have a super awesome week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Whisperpuppies for all the hardwork you put into translating it!!
    I love the series,the way you translated it...its just hard to describe it with words.
    Your the best!!
    Reading it i could literally feel butterflies in my stomach,honestly speaking it made my day!!
    THANK YOU :D

    Hope you have an amazing week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all your hard work. You translated it very well!! I am excited for the next update!!! (Lula)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much this story makes me feel so happy.
    I was just wondering what you think about hunger game's song safe and sound by taylor swift?

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for the latest update

    ReplyDelete
  7. That chapter was so cuuuute!!! I went "kya kya" all along!

    But the wife part kinda make me sad... I mean I do understand that they have their circumstances but still... Being married and not able to scream it to the world... :(
    I can't wai't for their big wedding day, even though Chiwa will probably be against because it'll cost a lot :s but that's why I love her too XD

    So as always thank you so much for the update!!!! ^x^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah! That was fast!! Thank you for the update!!

    "When a girl shops, she will browse and browse, consider and consider, and sometimes exit the store without buying anything. And then she may go back once again just to do the same."
    --- TOTALLY true, I guess it's innate in women to be that fickle-minded when shopping and to ponder to the nth time before buying the right/perfect dress.. >~<

    I can't help but laugh at the part where Chiwa was so in the love-happy-mood, being melodramatic and all but was cut-short after being told "pervert" by Hokuto and bummed with that little dress-whipping fiasco! ^^ hahaha spoiling the moment ---- big time..

    Oishii Kankei is indeed a good manga with great plot and story line! Got addicted to it! I mustered my self-control to limit the chapters per day but unfortunately I bended and kept reading til the wee hours that somehow resulted to insufficient sleep for 3 days!

    Hope to read your update soon!! Thanks again.. >w<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally finished oishii kankei! It left me feeling all warm inside...though, gosh, I want all the cheesy happy ending stuff, like oda and momoe getting married, having babies (and maybe just a conservative smut scene) haha

      Thank you for reading as always!

      Delete
    2. Might I say ---- it took them forever to be together!! =_= Glad it all went well,, no bitter feelings and all.. And Kanako's suggestion was indeed helpful for Oda and Momoe!

      I know right?? Even though the ending was great,, still it would have been better finishing the story with a glimpse of them managing the restaurant with their mini-me's.. >w< An extra chapter would sum it all up,, but then again,, it's been ages since the manga ended.. Sigh! Such wishful thinking.. Hahaha

      You're welcome!! Visiting your blog and reading the updates help me unwind!!

      Take care and have a great day ahead!! :D

      Delete
  9. thanks you so much. Your the best

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Whisperpuppies that was a great update love the way they are with each other. Love the novel so far. I'm a little worried about whats going to happen in the manga. I hope if she does not lose the child if she was pregnant.I'm really worried that this could really turn bad very quickly. Anyway I'm looking forward to the update in both!!!! Have a great day and THANKS ALOT!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the updates Whisperpuppies, as always it's always make me smile. can wait to see what will happen next during their holiday. i like the novel as much as i like the manga, and because of your kindness to translate hapi mari novel, i can see their other side that is different from the manga, how hokuto show his kindness and how he is jealous. it's so cute because hokuto is rarely show this side of him.
    once again thank you for translate this novel and the updates. can't wait for the next update.
    thank you very much.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, a special spoiler for you then. I was curious about the chapter breaks and just kept flipping the book looking for line breaks to see how long each chapter is about approximately, and at some point, there was this weird line break. It looks like the author switched perspectives, so that it was Hokuto telling the story, and not Chiwa. I don't know how many there are though.

      Delete
    2. Really? wow that was another thing that make this novel more and more worth to wait. i can't wait until reach that point, i wonder how the author create story from hokuto point of view, i hope it will tell us how his feeling form the very first time he heard that he had to marry chiwa then when hokuto realize that he care chiwa until when did he realize that actually he already love chiwa, yes i know it's same old same old but i can't help it. kyaaa i bet it's going to so much fun to read. because from your older post it said that Enjouji Maki has a new series planned starting on the October issue of Petit Comic, which mean hapi mari manga will end soon but i still curious about many things, i hope that Enjouji maki will give an input so that we can see another story from this "stupid" couple (stupid here not that i think that they are really stupid, but because they are clumsy and sweet).
      anyway, thank you vey much for translare this novel as always and thank you very much for replied my comment and give me a wonderful spoiler.

      Delete
    3. OMG!!!! Hokuto's story!!!! Is it still far away? I can't wait for it!!!

      Delete
  12. thank you for this wonderful update!! :)
    i can't stop giggling while reading this one..
    you are an awesome translator and i love you for that! haha..
    chiwa and hokuto forever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for the update!!! Can't wait for the part when Hokuto is telling the story. I always loved it when where was a side story about his perspective in the manga, it is just so cute to see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you. It was nice to discover that the update was on the fourth. It was the best Birthday present. Thanks. :D
    love
    S.S.S

    ReplyDelete
  15. WHISPERPUPPIES FTW! You freakin rock! I so love this chapter! Thanks for translating... I think, I'm in love with you LOL kidding :P Looking forward for more! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much! I've been busy recently and reading your posts is such a stress reliever. I'm so happy! :))

    ReplyDelete