Saturday, August 10, 2013

Dear Brother Chapter 9 Summary

Someone needs to smack Enjouji Maki's editor...or the editor at Petit really needs to step his/her game up in helping the mangaka move along, because never have I been so exasperated by one of her series. All the past ones I've read move quickly, and while they can be repetitive, never have they been as slow and boring as this one. If I weren't a fan of hers and there wasn't pretty art...I'm sure I may have dropped this long ago. Anyways...here goes! If you're interested in following along, click here for the scans!

The four siblings are at home on a weekend, when Arimatsu (Sougo's coworker from last chapter) calls on them. Sougo is shocked to see him, and Arimatsu is in turn surprised when he sees the other two brothers poking out. It turns out that Arimatsu has come to visit because Sougo had promised to introduce him (as a dating figure) to Momo, but hasn't heard back from Sougo since last chapter.



Both Gin and Momo are flustered because they know not a thing about this, while Aoba stares at Arimatsu suspiciously. To avoid further confusion (and possible arguments), Momo volunteers to take Arimatsu out so they can discuss this personally. Momo explains that there's already someone that she likes, but Arimatsu counters that it's one-sided. He boldly asks whether spending time with him is such an unpleasant experience (the last time they had a movie date together). Momo doesn't feel it's unpleasant really.

Momo: It's true that I haven't had any progress (with Sougo), but I don't want to use you as a replacement figure.

Arimatsu: That's alright, because I'm happy when I'm with you. Even if I have to act as a replacement.

Momo: Don't you think that's pitiful?

Arimatsu: Not at all. If we never even start, then anything between us would really end.

Momo: But my feelings won't change.

Arimatsu: From your looks right now, I suppose you can't give up just yet.

Momo: ...I'm very sorry.

Back home, Momo confronts Sougo about making such a decision for her, since he had clearly promised not to play matchmaker anymore.


Momo: I told you that there's already someone I like...

Sougo: I remember you saying that...

Momo: If you remember then...

Sougo: I'm sorry I broke my promise. But Arimatsu really seemed like he was sincere, and he even went as far as to have me help him. That's why I think you should consider. If you can progress smoothly with the person you like, then you can dismiss him, but if not...

Naturally Momo is unhappy at being told this exactly by the person she loves, and so she erupts at Sougo.

Momo: Stop putting on high airs as an older brother!

Sougo: I'm only doing this for your own good!

Momo: So am I supposed to listen to everything you say then because it's for my own good?!

Sougo: That's not what I'm saying, idiot!

Momo: You're always so stubborn!

Gin tries to cut in, but fails ultimately.

Sougo: Fine then, if so I won't see you as my younger sister anymore!

Momo: Good then! Then I won't have to be introduced to strangers anymore.

Sougo: FINE!


Aoba sides with Momo because he doesn't like Arimatsu, and Momo in her distress blurts out that she hates Sougo. Once she gets to her room though, Momo panics having said something so childish as to "I hate you" to Sougo, even though she's said it many times to him as a kid. She also wishes that it were true, that Sougo wouldn't have to see her as a younger sister anymore.

Gin seeks Sougo out, since Sougo and Momo haven't been speaking for a few days already. He asks Sougo why he didn't just tell Momo earlier about Arimatsu, to which Sougo answers he doesn't really know either.

Sougo: Perhaps Arimatsu is seeking out Momo's good points in his own way, which is why I thought handing Momo to him is a good decision. But whenever I see her face, I... There's no way we can change our point of view as her older brothers, and if Momo decides to build a family, we should all welcome it. In fact, it would lessen the burden on my shoulders. Then why am I...

Gin: Sougo, you can't be possibly...

Sougo: But she shouldn't have said I was wrong!

Gin was probably going to point out that Sougo may be feeling something other than brotherly feelings towards Momo, but the atmosphere is quickly broken when Sougo erupts in irritation. In the end, Gin offers that Sougo should just pipe down and let time pass without interrupting in her life playing the overbearing older brother role.

Sougo: But then, there's no reason for me to stay in this house anymore.

The next morning, Momo bumps into Sougo while he's still brushing his teeth in the bathroom. True to her word, she doesn't speak to him at all and flips her head in irritation. Sougo, though, runs his finger lightly through her hair and leaves in silence. Momo regrets saying such harsh things to him in anger, and even wonders whether she should be the first to make peace.

Sougo however, packs his bags to leave, which causes Momo to run out after him.

Momo: Why..all of a sudden?

Sougo: It's not sudden, I've been thinking about it for a while before making the decision. Plus, I always seem to provoke you, and the more as I act as your older brother (for your interest), the worser the situation becomes. If I can't carry out my duties as your older brother, then I've lost my right to stay in the house.

Momo (laughingly): But it was only a little fight, you don't have to exaggerate it.

Sougo: I should have realized sooner. Thinking about it now, you even switched rooms for me, and I keep taking advantage of your good will thinking that I would be welcome in the house. I also kept pushing you to do things my way.

Momo: No...I just...though I can't say it clearly...

Sougo (turns away): Goodbye.

Momo: Wait! You're joking, right? I...It's my fault. I'll apologize. Sorry. So please...

Aoba: Sougo-niichan!

Momo (starts running): Wait for me! Hey! I told you to wait! Wait...

And she falls (again. Gosh, why do girls always have to fall while chasing someone? I've never in my life seen someone fall just because of that...sigh...typical Japanese plot devices.)

Naturally, Sougo turns around to see if she's alright.

Momo (cries): I was lying when I said I hated you because I love you the most! So please don't leave, please don't leave me.


Sougo: There there, I got it. Grab onto me.

Momo: Sougo-niichan, whatever you say from now, I'll do it, even if it means going out with Arimatsu.

Gin: Sougo, you shouldn't have to make Momo go to this extent. Just come back and don't do it again.

Aoba: I oppose them going out.

Gin: Aoba, be more mindful of the atmosphere.

Aoba: Because he looks like a bad person. I felt like he had some ulterior motive when I saw him watching Momo. Not even the bastard from last time had that look to him.

Gin: Idiot, don't let your imagination run wild.



Sougo picks her up and carries her back home, saying that she's an idiot for letting herself get hurt like this because of him. At that moment that Momo gazed up at him, she felt like he was almost happy when he said that. While Aoba helps Momo treats her wounds, Gin pulls Sougo aside and asks, "Do you know something?" We flash to a panel of a woman holding a baby Sougo (the photograph from last time that Momo picked up, but she had no recollection as to who that woman was).


2 comments:

  1. Thank you sooo much!! I've lost track on this and thanks to you, I can read it again.. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete