Sunday, March 24, 2013

Dear Brother Chapter 6 Summary

We're taking baby steps in terms of plot advancement, but perhaps a big step in Momo's psychological world when she realizes that her attachment to Sougo goes beyond familial ties.  Again, there's the cliche accidents (why does someone always have to be nearly run over by a car?  Or in this case motorcycle)...which I honestly think can be done without.  It serves as a trigger for Momo's realization, but it's just not novel.  Anyways, on with the summary!   Notes: Italics near the end are Momo's inner thoughts.  If you want to follow the chapter, click here for the scans.

The chapter opens with Gin and Aoba crying out to their mom's altar, filing complaints about Momo.  While they argue, Momo suddenly realizes that it's their mom's death anniversary in just a few days.  Gin suggests that they all take a day off to go visit the grave together, which everyone but Sougo gets excited for.  Sougo says he's busy and that he'll visit on his own at another time.  When Aoba asks if he could do something about work, Sougo says that they'll understand later and goes off to bed.


Momo tries to convince Sougo while he's brushing his teeth to go together, since their parents would be happier to see the four of them together.  When he declines once again, Momo gets irritated and spouts out, "Fine then.  I suppose this is what happens when you've been separated from mom for so long.  You probably don't care about the death anniversary."

Sougo pushes her against the door, upset.

"If you spout such nonsense again, don't blame me for what happens next."

Frightened, Momo utters a sorry before running away from the bathroom.  Sougo looks at her dejectedly, perhaps regretting his harsh tone.

The next day on the Shinkansen ride, Aoba comments, "Sougo-niichan really should be more understanding."

Momo: Don't say that, there's nothing he could have done about work.

Aoba: But this is a family activity.  He should more or less put us first, right Momo?

Momo: It can't be helped.  I guess Sougo-niichan doesn't really put mom first place.  There's nothing we can do about it.

Gin picks up on her sarcastic tone, immediately deducing that Momo must have said something out of line to Sougo.

At the grave visit, Gin recounts their current life to their mom and dad.

"We really wanted to visit you when you were still alive, but I guess it's too late for that.  I'm working on a novel right now while Aoba is going to university.  Sougo is a lawyer, and Momo went through a series of obstacles, but everything is fine now.  The four of us are living together at our house again.  We've finally come back.  Although we've lived separately outside for longer, there's nothing that compares to our own home."

Momo realizes that what Gin is saying must be true for Sougo too and regrets criticizing Sougo.  Later at night at the inn, she ponders whether she should call Sougo to apologize.  Gin sits down with her to discuss her plans for the future, and whether she wants to accept any omiai meetings.

Momo: Well I do plan on getting married...but only when I find someone suitable.

Gin: So you're not going to actively search then?

Momo: Yeah.  Speaking of which, what is Gin-niichan going to do?  You don't have a girlfriend either.

Gin (looking away abashedly): It's just that I don't have one coincidentally...coincidentally...

Momo: Same for Sougo-niichan and Aoba.  You guys should be worrying about yourselves.

Gin: But if Sougo comes out all of a sudden and says he's getting married, you won't be able to accept it light, right?  Your relationship with Sougo when you both were younger was special.  You even said that you wanted to become Sougo's wife when you grew up.

Momo looks down in embarrassment.

Gin: Well that was when you were five, so no need to worry a bout it.  But if you say that even now, then you're a true weirdo.

Momo: I keep thinking, if we are going to separate in the future at some point, when why did we...Don't misunderstand.  I don't regret getting back a bit.  It's just that ever since you guys left, I gave my best effort to reorganize my feelings, reminding myself that there are actually three more people who share blood ties with me.

The next morning, Momo decides to go off to purchase some souvenirs before their shinkansen ride.  As she exits the station and crosses the street, she sees Sougo.

"Sougo-niichan!  Why are you here?"

Sougo: Didn't you guys already get on the train?

Momo: You're here for the visit...?  Did you just not want to go with us?

Sougo ignores her and keeps walking.  Momo turns around, "Wait...wait!  Why didn't you want to go with us?"

A motorcycle rushes toward them as the streetlight turns red, and Momo pushes Sougo out of the way...which probably hurt him more than he would have if he was hit by the motorcycle.

The people around them warn Momo not to move him, since there may be internal damage and broken bones.  Momo panics inside, since he never answered her question and she never got the chance to say sorry.

Sougo wakes up in the hospital, seemingly alright.  He had drifted in and out of consciousness due to the intensity of the pain.  He asks Aoba and Gin where Momo is, and whether she had any injuries.  The two answer no, but says that she's very dejected sitting outside.

Outside, Momo recounts the incident to herself.

"Sougo-niichan was fading in and out in the ambulance, and I had cried hysterically until my voice was hoarse.  Please don't abandon me, don't leave me.  You told me that you would write me letters and call me, but I never heard from you.  I was angry and lonely, and I tried to seal away my first love.  I wanted to forget these feelings for you..."

Gin calls Momo in, telling her that Sougo has awaken.

"Sorry, Sougo-niichan.  I can't become the sister you wished for.  Because once again, I..."

Gin leaves them alone to talk.  Momo apologizes as she cries, scared that she would lose him once again.

Momo: If this kind of thing happens again, I probably won't be able to...live on...

Sougo pulls her in for a hug.  "You dummy, how can I die so easily?  I told you I had the duty to make sure you achieve happiness.  This is the promise I made mom, and it's also why I was able to survive this."

Momo: Thank goodness you're alright.  Please don't abandon me, don't disappear in front of me again.

"Sougo-niichan...didn't answer my question.  But that doesn't matter anymore.  As long as I'm still your sister, I can take hold of your hands, right?  Sorry for being selfish.  But I don't want our family to separate once again.  No matter what methods I use, even if no one acknowledges my actions...I will never let go of these hands again.  Even if you would hate me in the future for it, even if I lose the right to be your sister, I still love you as much as I did as a child."


3 comments:

  1. Kikou ... ^^

    Tks you for the translation !!! Whaouuu ...^^I still don't know what to think about this story !! ... sister beeing in love her own brother ... and Shougo seems to be (at least for the moment)... her older brother ... and yes I think you're right the plot is developing slowly ... I only hope that it would be for the best !!!
    Tks again for taking your time for this new chapter !!
    Bises ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the new update!! LOVE IT!!! Yall are right it is moving slowly but it is good I still question if Shougo and her are blood brother and sister. I believe the brothers are atlest the oldest knows everything!! Can't wait for more!!! THANKS AGAIN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoow,it is very hillarious,,,its a forbidden love,,what is going on? i wish sougo is not her real brother

    ReplyDelete