Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Hapi Mari novel: Update 3


Phew, this is a refreshing change from the current storyline.  At least, that's how I feel.  No mysterious Mamiya family secrets, no strangely clothed men roaming the streets to stab Chiwa or Hokuto, just a dazzling day spent on a touristy island somewhere for vacation...anyways, on with the story!

Hokuto!

I'm so preplexed by his appearance I've momentarily gone mute.  Am I seeing a hallucination because of the heat?  Or is it because of the uneasiness of being by myself?  I rub my eyes and pinch my cheeks once more.

Once I've confirmed that the man before me still hasn't disappeared yet, I meekly call out.

"Hokuto...?"

"Who else would it be!  Don't tell me you don't recognize your husband's face!"

"How mean."

The horrible attitude towards his wife.  No doubt, it's Hokuto alright.  But...

"Why are you here, Hokuto?"

"Why are you here?"

We both began asking each other the same question.  Suddenly, Hokuto's mobile rings.  Ah, that's the phone strap I gave him.  He's been using it...wait, now's not the time to think about this.

"Is it..."

A bad...more like scandalous feeling lodges in my heart.

"Hello?" Hokuto answers wearily.  I do my best to listen in on the conversation.  The din of the airport
barely allows me to hear the faint voice from the phone.

"Good morning, president.  This is Souma."

Ah, I knew it.

"Souma, what is going on?  Wasn't I suppose to pick up the business partner's president here today?"

"From your words, I take it that madame has arrived safely?"

"So this is all your scheme then," Hokuto says in a scathingly low voice.

Without flinching, Souma answers back, "Don't put it like that.  As a person who has taken care of the president since he was a little chick, and as an ally whom the madame places her absolute trust in, think of this as a Christmas present from me to the both of you."

"Christmas present?"

"You've told me before that you weren't able to fully relax during your Okinawa trip last time, didn't you?  That's why I thought it would be nice if both of you could enjoy your trip this time at a tropical island.  You rarely take vacations for yourself, which is why I slipped in a little trick.  I take pride in the fact that I'm the only one who can present you this gift in your schedule."

"Meaning that the business trip to receive the partner is..."

"A complete lie," Souma fearlessly answers in a light voice.  Just as she did when she confirmed she had scammed me of my passport.

"The president shall take a one week vacation starting from now.  I'm made arrangements with madame's company, so please tell her not to worry.  Good bye, and have fun."  As if attaching a little heart mark to the end of the sentence, Souma hangs up.  Having lost the chance to talk back, Hokuto scowls.  Anxiously, I grab for the phone that is quickly turning dark.

"Wait, Souma-san?!  What do you mean you made arrangements with my company??  Did you just throw the Mamiya name out there to..."

"It's useless, she hung up already.  She wouldn't do things that would cause needless offense," Hokuto interrupts, sighing as he takes his phone back.  He sounds so sulky, or rather more resigned.  He probably couldn't stand up to Souma either, having been just called a little chick.

"I see...of course."

If she has cleared everything for Hokuto, then she must have done the same for me.  Meaning...I wonder if it's alright to enjoy this as a normal vacation.  Just the two of us for one week in this tropical island.  Seen from this perspective, my view of the situation has just brightened immensely.  The refreshing clear sky, the dazzling sun, and even the taxi and hotel signs seem to sparkle with colors.  Smells of lush plants, exotic food, and salty ocean air fill my senses as I inhale deeply.  Seeing my expression, Hokuto knits his eyebrows together in suspicion.

"...Well aren't you in a merry mood."

"No...that's not it."

I quickly throw on my vexing face, but he doesn't seem convinced.  Sighing irritatedly, he begins to walk away with my bag.  Jogging up to catch up, I see that more pedestrians have turned to look at us.  Of course my clothing is at fault, but that's not all of it.  The heated glances young women throw Hokuto!  But that's to be expected.  His handsome suit and good looks make him stand out even at the top.  I suddenly want to yell and brag, "This is my husband!"  I bounce along cheerfully trying to keep it all in, when Hokuto suddenly stops, causing me to slam into his back nose first.

"Kya!  That hurts..."

Rubbing my nose, I see from my teary eyes that a large car has stopped in front of Hokuto.  In the middle of the scorching pavement, a long glimmering white car awaits.  I wonder if it's a limousine.  A car that I've only seen in movies, a car that symbolizes the rich.  Next to the door stands a driver in a uniform and white gloves.  He bows respectfully to us.

"Eh, are we going to ride in this?!"

"It's a Ford limo-car.  I had prepared it to welcome the business partner president."

"Ford?  Limo-car?"

I don't really understand him, but I do know that this is a luxurious car.  Is it really all right for me to ride in it wearing a knit dress I got in a bargain sale?  Indifferent to my nervous self, Hokuto quickly hops in.  Prompted, I timidly follow him into the air-conditioned, extravagantly luxurious car.  Lights that glitter like the stars are embedded into the ceiling.  A large DVD monitor adorns the front, and what's more, there's a mini-bar!

"Isn't it grand.  A car prepared by the husband just for his wife.  A normal husband wouldn't order a limousine."

I've really married into money.  I thought I had gotten used to this lifestyle, but I guess there's still a ways to go.  I sink my stiff body into the soft seat, when I notice the driver's confused expression in the back mirror.

"Hokuto-sama, the president..."

"A change of plans.  The reception has been canceled, and we're going to look after her instead," Hokuto sighs deeply, leaning back into the seat.  His eyebrows knit together sullenly.  He's probably still mad about the change in plans.  I want to talk to him, but am unsure as to what to say.  Luckily, he speaks up first.

"By the way, is this all of your belongings?" He nods at my coat and bag.

Oh no!  Once I've realized it, I pale considerably.

"I don't have any clothes!  Or my cosmetics!  And I didn't bring enough money..."

More importantly, I don't even have underwear to change into!  Looking at my panic-stricken self, Hokuto sighs for the umpteenth time.

"I thought so."

"Hokuto, please!  Take me shopping!  And lend me money too!" I hold my hands together to plead.  Without answering as usual, Hokuto gives the driver directions.  As if it heard, the limousine starts to roll forward to our destination.  Hokuto takes two glasses along with a bottle of red-tinged liquid out of the mini bar.  Clear bubbles flow to the top when he pours it out.  Is it champagne?

"Here, drink it.  You must be thirsty."

Without waiting for my reply, he drains his glass in one gulp.  I take my glass too, but when I finally saw the bottle, I almost spilled all its contents.

"Pindon?!"

Dom Pérignon, nicknamed Pindon.  I know its outrageous price from my experience as a hostess.

"Don't shout all of a sudden."

"But...but, this is Pindon right?  Or is that just the bottle and there's something else inside..."

Seeing my flustered expression, Hokuto's lips tug upwards.  It's the first smile I've seen since meeting him here.

"Should I give up my nickname as Jack Bauer and become James Bond instead?"

"Eh?"

"James Bond's favorite drink in the past is Dom Pérignon."

"Eh...that's not it!"

So this is Pindon.

"This isn't a drink that you just toss back lightly, right?!"

"Well I have to switch into another mode now.  Sheez, I was supposed to be here for an important business opportunity," Hokuto clicks his tongue, tossing back a second glass.  I finally sober up to the situation.  He's dressed in a suit and necktie, his hair carefully parted to the right.  Obviously not in vacationing-in-tropical-island mode.  That's right.  I've become ready to enjoy myself so carefreely, but it's not as easy for Hokuto.  He can't just relax with a glass of wine and switch moods so easily.  He probably prepared and thought of a lot of things for this meeting.  He's probably exasperated by Souma's plan, and it's only natural that he still be irritated.  I look at the bubbles swirling in my glass and finally make up my mind.

"Driver, could you please stop?"

In the separated partition, the startled driver slows down and begins to look for a parking meter, while Hokuto springs up to look at me.

"Hey, what's wrong?  Do you hate drinking Pindon that much?"

"Can you please turn around to the airport?  I'm going back to Japan," I call out only to the driver, but it was Hokuto who responded.

"Haah?  Whare are you saying?"

"I know it's impossible to have a vacation.  Don't mind me, you go on to work as planned.  Call Souma and ask her to invite the other president here."

"Like I can do that!"

I know it's too much to ask, but I can't stop my voice from raising.  I don't like it either.  If me spending time with him means it'll be interfering with his work, I wouldn't be the least happy.  Now I feel stupid for being so delighted in the first place.

"Driver, could you please sto-"

I almost fly out of my seat as the driver stops and nears the curb.  I lurch to the side as my sense of balance is thrown, and find myself in Hokuto's arms.  The feel of his smooth summer suit, and his strong arms underneath.

"What are you doing?"

He sighs into my hair, though I'm not sure if it's in exasperation or relief.

"Sorry, but I...unng"

When I raise my head, my words are swallowed by his kiss.  I taste the fragrance of exquisite alcohol that lingers on lips.  Taking advantage of my bewilderment, Hokuto's tongue slips between my teeth and pushes into my mouth as if he owned all of me.  Assertively just like Hokuto, but also kindly.  The flavor of alcohol, the taste of his saliva, the taste of Hokuto fill my senses.  His warm tongue entwines with mine, and I let out a soft sigh.  Our heated breaths mingle with each other.  As if still intent on exploring, his lips leave mine slowly, and I find that all strength has gone from my body.  I sit on his lap, held close by his arms, and lean fully into him.

"Not fair..."

He always steal my words, my actions, and my thoughts away.  Whatever it is, I always want to abandon it as soon as he kisses me.  When just the hint of rebuttal reaches my lips, Hokuto lightly kisses me without delay.

"Wait...Ho-"

"I told you I was changing gears with alcohol.  I was on until then, now I"m off.  And being off, I'm going to go all out.  Be prepared," he grins at me, switching from work mode into husband mode.

"Be prepared...nn!"

I didn't get a chance to finish, as he launches into an alpha male-like kiss, liberal and aggressive.  But no matter how much I rebel, I end up giving in to this tyrant.  To this wanton love.

"Did you forget my promise before I took off?"  he whispers against my ear softly after breaking the kiss.  I shiver from the neck down and nod.  The words that he said to me after embracing me deeply are coming back again.

"It was supposed to be after a week, but I couldn't imagine having you so soon again."

"Hokuto!"

What is he saying?  The driver is here too!

"Oh be quiet, I know you're shivering from happiness."

"What..."

"I hit right on the mark, right?"

The naughty remark whispered in my ear combined with the playful biting on my earlobe makes me jump.  He laughs at my reactions, which seem to agree with his words.

"He's a professional driver.  He will pretend not to see and not to hear just for us."

His slender fingers traces from my dress down to the hook of my bra.  My heart leaps at his licentious suggestion.  Surely not here?  Absolutely impossible!  Impossible!  But...

I shake my head furiously, trying to clear my mind.  Deep inside though, I cannot pretend to ignore his invitation anymore.

"Hokuto..." my voice comes out coaxingly.  My lips part instinctively, as if telling him I too wish to hurry and have him.  As those words threaten to spill out, he curtly says, "Hey, move over."

"Eh?"

Flabbergasted by his words, I pause momentarily.  What did he just say?  Did I hear wrong?  Or have I been dreaming up this whole scenario until now?  Turning to look at my blank expression with a calm face devoid of any naughty feelings, Hokuto says with a detached tone, "We're here, this is our destination.  Let's go get you some clothes and underwear now."

At the same time, the driver gets out of the car to open the door for us.  The blast of hot air rushes in, bringing me back to reality.  So all of this...was he...

"...Hokuto, did you know what you were doing just now?"

Without answering me, Hokuto hops off the car.  As soon as I do the same, Hokuto bends down and whispers in my ear, "How bold of you not to mind doing it with another person in the car."

"Ho-Hokuto!"

That bastard!  That cheeky bastard!  Always teasing me for fun!  I'm such an idiot for responding to it!  Looking at my flushed angry face, Hokuto starts laughing.

"Idiot!  You're the worst!"

Just as I was about to turn around and give him a piece of my mind, he suddenly pulls me in.

"Let go!  How are you going to make fun of me this time..."

"It's true that I want to have you as soon as I can."

At his unexpected zealous tone, my words dissolve.  I won't fall for that trick again.  Though of course if it were true I would be happy...  When I turn my head up to look at him, our foreheads clash together.  His eyes crinkle into a smile.

"It's rare for us to have a vaction.  Let's be on good terms, wifey."

"...foul play" I gave him a sour look, but nodded.

I think this is one-fourth of the way through the story, give or take a few pages.  I've just been thinking about the main plot recently...and I notice something missing.  It's not the fact that they've never had a wedding, but...the least Hokuto can do for Chiwa is to buy her a ring, right?  They love each other enough.....so it's only natural that they go shopping for wedding rings one day.  Hokuto doesn't seem as adverse to letting the world know that Chiwa is his wife (although he probably wouldn't announce it to the whole world), but...I want him to get a ring for her!  We should all email the author and tell her to add it if she hasn't already drawn it in the last chapters.  I don't know how many chapters are left, but through the Japanese discussion and boards, there seems to be a lot of consensus that it ends at forty.  I hope not...I love omake stuff they put at the end of manga to fill it up.  I didn't really get the Jack Bauer reference...though I looked and looked again at the page.  I even googled him just in case...only to find it's a fictional character in some American telly show.  I never watch American shows...maybe it's time I watch more.


On a side note, doesn't anyone find the casting of Peeta...well, a little off?  He is sooo not the image of Peeta I had in mind.  I think they should have cast the guy who plays Cato for Peeta instead.  And Gale...sigh...I really wonder if the director and crew were high on something when they did casting.  It better be so bloody good acting, or else there's no justification.  At least there's still Finnick...I'm holding out my hopes for him.  Please don't screw it up.


Has anyone ever read books by Carlos Ruiz Zafon?  His new one is coming out in June!  I can't wait.  If you haven't, I definitely recommend The Shadow of the Wind~  I've recently picked up a book by Umberto Eco, I hope it's good.  Anyways, look forward to the next update.


-whisperpuppies

17 comments:

  1. thanks for the update

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for new update

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Hokuto is so cunning ;D
    Thanks for the new update!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for the update. i was so engrossed in reading and then my face fell out when i saw the author's comment just have to wait for the next update. XD thanks again whisperpuppies you made my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another update! Yey!! ^__^

    Hokuto's so sly.. But it does work wonders with handling Chiwa,, BIG time.. >~< Can't wait how their vacation unfolds..

    Thanks a bunch for the update!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omgsssh, joy! :DDD Thank you thank you!! I laughed uproariously when Hokuto tricked Chiwa. xDDDD Oh tooo good! :3 I can't believe you're a quarter done already!!! It seems so short! D: Waah, I hope it gets another novel then! Aww, and I'm sad that it's pretty set in stone that Hapi Mari is ending now...waaah, I'm not looking forward to that at all! 2 more volumes left, pretty much, right? :(

    Lol, I don't get the Jack Bauer and James Bond reference either, even though I know that Jack Bauer is the main character from the TV show, 24. He's a really popular character in Japan though, I've seen him on their variety shows, and he's always being referenced by their comedians. XD

    As for the casting of THG, I didn't really have any complaints about who they chose. :3 Maybe because I'm not hugely into THG so I didn't feel scandalised when the actors didn't fit my image of the characters (because sometimes I DO feel that way when a book I really love is turned into a movie D:). Personally I thought Katniss would be more tanned (like olive?), I sort of imagined her looking like a native American or latino woodland princess...I don't know why. As for Peeta, I didn't think he'd look THAT boyish, but I recognise the actor (not one of my favourites though) and I think he's decent enough. I could see myself warming to the idea of him being Peeta. :3 Just my two cents. xD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg...I really do love the plot of this update. In the manga we usually only have a business or Mamiya family attire, but here it's only the two of them with no one interfering (hopefully). Ah, I love it...kkk.
    Thanks for detailed translation, I know it's really hard to translate literary text in order to convey the feelings as well, but your translation is awesome!! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG OMG OOOOMGEEEE!!!!! Hokuto is so much more meaner and sly than in the manga!!! Love LOVE it!
    Thank you so much for translating it =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for the recent update it was lovely .thanks for letting us know about carlos ruiz zafons new book i loved shadow in the wind a brillant book from start to finish .

    ReplyDelete
  10. *huggles* Thank you so much for taking time out to translate this novel! I almost got a heart-attack while reading that potentially steamy scene in the limousine. What a cheeky bastard indeed. But how I swoon for him (bad for me).

    I laughed at the Jack Bauer reference. As someone mentioned above, Jack Bauer is a fictional character from the American thriller/drama "24" (each season revolves around 24 hours of anti-terrorist agents trying to stop an attack on the country and its civilians). Jack Bauer is the no-nonsense agent who will use torture to coax information from the enemy. Basically, he will kill your wife and children and pet dog if he has to in order for you to spill the beans. To figure out how big this guy is, Jack Bauer can kick Chuck Norris' butt in less than a second. Another fictional character you can look up is Clint Eastwood's portrayal of Inspector Harry Callahan (from the "Dirty Harry" series). Just watch the first movie, and you get what I mean.

    Yes, so think of Hokuto as this no-nonsense businessman ("Jack Bauer" mode), ready to attack any enemies that would plunge his company's stock value and productivity. And then he switches over to "James Bond" mode after a glass of Pindon. Yes... a womanizer who can put on hold spywork for some foreplay underneath the sheets.

    I still have yet to read The Hunger Games. (looks at the book on my desk)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sorry Whisperpuppies. You can call me "hobbit" or "kazoo". I actually don't remember if I ever used a nickname for your blog before...

      Delete
  11. thank you so much for the recent update..
    i'm really happy to know about hapimari novel..
    keep translate,, we lov u..
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much Whisperpuppies! I agree with the wedding ring!!! Can't wait for more updates :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for the update!!
    I really love it!!
    And i totally agree with you , at the very least Hokuto could buy her a ring.
    But i personally would love to see Hokuto and Chiwa getting married on one of their anniversaries... :3

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...Thank yoU sO mUcH....Whisperpuppies!!!
    ...I L♥vE it... (♥.♥)

    ReplyDelete