Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Dear Brother Chapter 13+14 Summary

Eek! I totally forgot about posting the summary because I got so busy...but I promise to up the short soon (not sure if scanlators also did that one for the special issue). Anyways, since chapter 13 is up in Chinese scans, at least you'll get a clearer view instead of my crappy iPhone pictures. And reading the chapter in Japanese has made me realize my mistake! It's supposed to be Arisue instead of Arimatsu, lol. If you want to follow along, click here for the link. This chapter is shorter than others (because the author did the one-shot special).

The chapter opens with Momo telling Aoba to hurry so that they can go to the summer festival. Sougo isn't here...because well, he has disappeared for one year without a word to them. Although all the brothers know (Gin&Aoba) that Momo has fallen in love with him, they had never blamed her. Yet she wonders if she hadn't blurted it aloud, whether they would still be living together happily as siblings.

I now know that I'm not related to all my family members. I'm the child from mom's side and Sougo and Gin are children from my dad's side. Although all of us are related to Aoba by blood, I'm not connected to Sougo or Gin. Still, I'm living with Aoba and Gin, for we still want to live together as siblings. 

As they walk towards the festival, Aoba comments, "Sougo-niichan even quit the job with that Arisue guy. He could at least tell us what he's doing now."

"Well well now," replies Momo.

Aoba has already graduated from university and is now in a special training school to take over the Suzuki family business. Meanwhile Gin is still taking care of all the family things, although Momo is still unclear as to what his real job is.


Aoba: Do you still want to see him?

Momo: Of course...but...


Aoba: But what?

Momo: That's...I don't know how to face him...

During the past year, Momo has also let her hair grow longer, as a way of wishing to see him again (I did NOT know that letting your hair grow can make your wishes come true... @_@). Of course, she kept this thought to herself.

The siblings meet up with Arisue, which Aoba is a bit pissed about, though Momo called him just to have more people join in for fun.

Aoba: Why on earth are you here?!

Momo: It's more fun watching fireworks with more people.

Arisue: What she said, otouto-kun.

Aoba: You have no right to call me brother.

Arisue (to Momo): Let's just leave the fireworks and walk around here by ourselves.

Aoba: You go away! 

Arisue: You know...I may become your brother in the future.

Aoba: No way! I only have two brothers!

When they finally find Gin, who was holding a viewing spot for them, Gin asks where Sakura is.

After the whole incident with Sakura finding out that Sougo was living with Momo, she had completely ignored Momo's existence, only speaking to her when work necessitates it. But after Momo told her about her feelings for Sougo, they developed a strange type of rapport, not that Momo would call it friendship.

Momo calls Sakura, but it seems she has gotten a bit lost. Gin volunteers to pick her up while Aoba helps them hold their viewing spot. Arisue and Momo are sent off to buy drinks.

Arisue: You hair grew out quite long.

Momo: Yeah, I haven't cut it since and somehow it has already become this long.

Arisue: Even though you look nice like this, isn't it time to cut it? It's been a year already...since you've got your heart broken. Generally...

Momo: So you noticed...

Arisue: Yeah, I thought so, since Honda-san left a year ago.

Momo: But! Even though I fell out of love..and even though he left because I wasn't good enough...he didn't tell me he hated me or anything. He still loves me as a sibling and I him, so somehow I don't feel like I've completely fallen out of love.

Arisue: I see...so it's not a clean break, which is why you can't let go. I can volunteer to become your new love interest!

Momo: Haha...

Arisue: But I don't understand why he was so stubborn about it when he already knew that he wasn't related to you by blood. Even if you guys were to go out, it's not like society will look down on your relationship. From what I see, I think Honda-san's feelings for you surpasses that for a sister. 

Momo: ...but he still sees me as nothing but a sister.

Arisue: Well...I don't have any siblings so maybe I don't really understand. 

Once the two get to the convenience store, Momo finds a little lost boy. She asks Arisue to take care of the shopping while she goes with him to the lost & found center.

Momo feels like she's holding onto a small version of Sougo as she leads the boy to the center. Meanwhile, Gin is on the phone with someone as he walks around.

Gin: Eh? You got lost? How can a local like you get lost? You've always been completely directionless. Try and recall from your memories when you were small.

As Gin walks around, he finds Sakura, and hurriedly he tells the other person on the phone to find his way through. Meanwhile, Momo hadn't realized that the lost & found center was that far, and ended up being washed away by the crowd of people. As she makes her way through, she stumbles onto a temple, one that the four of them used to play at when they were little. She's alarmed by some rustling in the bush, but finds that it's just a couple who decided to mess around (i.e. making out) in front of the temple. She decides to go ahead and make a wish since she's already here, and she wishes to meet Sougo again. When she hears rustling again, she turns around ready to scold someone, only to find Sougo asking her for directions 


Chapter 14

Sougo: Momo?

Momo: Sougo-niichan, why are you here?

The fireworks go off in the background.

Momo: Looks like they've already started. Why are you here?

Sougo: That's because...

Momo thinks, "That's not what I wanted to ask. What should I do? How should I face him? This is too sudden, my heart isn't ready. Or rather, I don't have the courage."

Meanwhile, Arisue gets tired of waiting and calls Momo to ask her where she is. She tells him that she bumped into a little trouble, but Arisue hears Sougo's voice in the background. Meanwhile, Gin also calls Sougo and tells him to hurry for the fireworks have already started. After they both hang up, Sougo tells Momo that it was actually Gin who invited him along, and that he has moved back into the area. He shows her the map that he got for going to the viewing area, but still somehow got lost. Momo relaxes and laughs at how directionless he is, but she pauses and the awkward air between them resumes again.

Sougo: Say...I thought you looked different. You grew your hair out, didn't you?

Momo: Eh? Yeah, I wanted to change my image. Does it look weird?

Sougo: No. I think it looks good on you.

Which, of course freaks Momo out since she still has feelings for him. Desperate to dissolve the atmosphere, she tells him to hurry to the viewing area since everyone is waiting. And of course, she trips on her sandals and sprains her foot (Sheez, can this manga be less shoujo like? Why do the girls always have to trip?)

Sougo offers to piggyback her back to where their siblings are, but she adamantly refuses.

Sougo: Do you have a problem?

Momo: I'm...wearing a yukata. It might be a bit difficult.

Sougo: Then should I carry you bridal style?

Momo: No, not that either!

Sougo: Then should I just throw you over the shoulder like a rice bag? Like that time when you had a fever.

Momo: Rice bag?!

Sougo: Stop being picky, you're only going to embarrass yourself.

Finally Momo hops onto his back, and buries her face down in shame.

Sougo: You don't have to be that embarrassed, it's not like the first time I've carried you.

Momo: Even so, this is different from when we were small.

Sougo: True...you are definitely heavier.

Momo: Well, sorry about that!



Sougo: I used to carry you back home all the time when you and Aoba have tired yourselves out playing. Even though Gin was older and bigger than me, you always fussed about having me carry you. That's right...you were heavy back then too.

Momo: I said sorry!

Sougo: Even though I don't know why, I knew when you were calling for me when you called for onii-chan, and not Gin. 

Momo: Sougo-niichan...I want us to be brother and sister again. I know I may not be able to completely feel that way again, but I don't want you to worry about me anymore. So please, please reject me here (as a lover). I think that if you do,, things can go back to the way they were.

Sougo: I actually accepted Gin's invitation tonight because I wanted to see you. When I left home one year ago, I felt it was the best way for us. But now that I think about it, I was simply escaping. So I wanted to clear things up with you here. I've regretted this one year, Momo.


Sougo: I'm really sorry that I can't return your feelings.


Sougo: But don't misunderstand. I still treasure you a lot. I'll do anything for your happiness.

Momo (crying slightly): ...Mhm.

They bump into Arisue when they walk back, and Sougo lets Momo down so that Arisue can lead her back. 

Arisue: Aren't you going to see the fireworks too?

Sougo: That was my intention, but I've already reached my goal.

Arisue: Your goal...

Arisue finally notices that Momo is crying.

Arisue: Hey, what's wrong?

Momo: We just cleared things up...he rejected me. I've now officially fallen out of love.

Arisue (to Sougo): What on earth do you think you're doing?!

Momo: Wait, Arisue-san...

Arisue: I'm really angry now. (to Momo) Keep quiet for a moment. (to Sougo) Even though we aren't coworkers anymore, do you remember the time when you asked if I had ever made Momo cry? And then you come along after a year, and you've already made her cry! How can you call yourself her brother?

Momo: Stop it, don't say anymore Arisue-san! I was the one who asked Sougo-niichan for an answer. He did it for me because I wanted to become his sister again! Only with this can I move forward. 

Arisue: But...

Sougo: Like you said, even though I call myself her brother, I don't even have the ability to make her smile. I have nothing more to say.

Arisue: You think you can get away like that?

Sougo: That's not what I meant.

Momo (grabs onto Arisue): Sougo-niichan, don't you remember that Arisue-san asked me out a year ago too? He has been waiting for me this whole year, and now that Sougo-niichan has come out tonight, I can finally give his proposal consideration.


Momo: So you don't need to worry about me anymore. Arisue-san, I'm afraid I need some help walking, do you mind lending me your arm?


Momo: Hey, let me down! I'm going to fall!

Arisue: I won't drop you. (to Sougo) Then I'll take her off your hands. Bye, Sougo-niichan.


Though hesitant, he turns away, but not before Momo sees his reaction.

After walking a while, Arisue switches to piggybacking her (because he isn't strong enough to carry her with his arms only the whole way through, :D)

Momo: I've never seen you so angry before.

Arisue: I can get mad too! What am I like in your eyes? Of course I don't really care about most things, but I don't really like Honda-sensei. I've told you before how nice he is to his clients before, but the Honda-sensei now really annoys me. He doesn't even care that he's made such an important person to him unhappy.

Momo: I told you that I had asked him to. And plus, you're not in a position to say anything. I bet you've made tons of girls cry.

Momo thinks, "There's no way that he doesn't care. I've hurt him so deeply and saw his reaction. It's all my fault. From now on, I can't hurt him anymore."


Momo: Anyways, I'm sorry to use you as a shield. 

Arisue: Eh? A shield? I thought you were being honest!

Momo: Eh? 

Arisue: Ah...ha ha...forget it. I was looking forward to this chance to ask you what I did a year ago anyways. Will you go out with me? You said you wanted to move forward. I think I may be able to help.

Momo:..... I'll think about it earnestly. Thank you.

Arisue: No problem.

Back home, Aoba is bandaging up Momo's foot, and he laments how the fireworks would have been more fun had they called Sougo. Of course, Aoba hadn't known that Momo had already met up with Sougo. Gin tells him that he actually called Sougo out, but he got lost on the way. Momo feels guilty because she has robbed Aoba his chance away of seeing Sougo, although it wasn't his fault at all. Just when Momo is about to apologize...

Aoba: You must tell me things like that from now on.

Gin: Sorry sorry! Hey, how about I organize a get together for the four of us?

Aoba: Eh? But would Sougo-niichan really come?

Gin: I'll think of something. Momo, it's been a year already, are you ok now?

Momo: Um...yeah.

Gin: Ok, I'll go contact Sougo then.

Inside, Momo repeatedly tells herself, "It'll be alright. I'll be able to face him directly.)


PHEW! Super long summary, but you guys deserved it for being soo patient! Job hunting really sucks...I'm so lost about the future. Scratch that, I don't even feel like I have one anymore. Sigh...

13 comments:

  1. どうもありがとうございました。 m(_ _)m Thank you for the summary especially when you are so busy.

    Aoba keeps getting stuck in the middle. Gin called Sougo and he only came to meet Momo so once he had, he just left. I guess it's true what he said, he isn't fit to be a brother, although not to Momo, but to Aoba.

    To be completely honest I don't really understand why he hasn't met with Aoba during the past year. I can understand avoiding Momo, as he admitted; he ran away from her and the situation. But that doesn't mean he can't contact Aoba. If it really is just about family then why did he avoid all of them?

    I keep thinking about that promise to mother that was hinted at before. Maybe that has something to do with Sougo's behavior. Although, Gin is the eldest so wouldn't he too have some form of obligation. Or is the promise about something else?

    I don't really believe that the only reason he left was that Momo confessed to him. Even before the confession his reaction to them being siblings again was quite different from Aoba and Gin.

    Sakura seems to have forced her feelings on Sougo, or at least that was the implication I got. But Momo just confessed, she didn't ask for anything, she didn't expect anything either. She just apologized for having fallen in love with him. And that is why I don't think the confession is the only thing that made him leave. I said it before, he always had one foot out the door.

    Not to mention, his reaction upon seeing Momo seriously consider dating Arisue wasn't one you would expect of a guy who insists that he cannot respond to your feelings. He looked desperate and while it is clear that Aoba doesn't like Arisue, I have a hard time imaging that he would have the same expression Sougo had.

    I know that there is still a lot of repetition, chapter 14 had quite a few elements in common with Arisue's original introduction and attempt to date Momo, including Sougo's reluctance. So in a sense we are back to square one. However, I am quite curious about what is actually going on. Even if 14 chapters in, the biggest revelation and clue so far is that they aren't all related. Thank you once again for being patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea...I think Sougo is just conflicted about how to view his sister as a woman he can possibly love romantically. But that's what makes it frustrating at the same time...because I don't feel like there's any progress at all. I remember reading Yoru Cafe, where the same thing happened (the guy fell in love with the main character who was a widow, but at least it was interesting to see his inner conflict). I feel bad for Arisue because I think he's going to be the second male lead with the unrequited love...

      I wonder if Enjouji Maki had switched editors, because none of her series beforehand dragged so much. I don't mind slow series so much (such as Ashita no Ousama, which was damn good), but this one has been disappointing so far still.

      Delete
  2. Where did my long comment just go? Eh, I'll rewrite it.
    Thank you so much for the translation. I am actually enjoying the pace this one is progressing.
    Unless I misread something along the way, I think that Momo misunderstood what Sougo was trying to tell her. I think that he doesn't want to view her as a sister, but as a "lover" instead. Why are the female protagonists always a little to naive to get things sometimes? Didn't she ask him to "reject her as a lover" and he said that he couldn't return those feelings...hmmm...
    Anyway, is there something between Gin and Sakura? If those two get married, then Sakura really will be Sougo's sister. I can't wait for the next chapter.
    I'm in the middle of reading several manga's right now. I'm upset that Aesthetica of a Rouge Hero seems to have stalled. Granted the male character is very inappropriate with women, but I'm loving the story line from the anime (which doesn't have a second season).
    Thanks again! I'll check in next month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for the translation. <(^_^)>

    I like the story but Sougo needs to make up his mind a bit faster and be clear instead of beating around the bush. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for all the translations! I love Enjouji Maki. I wonder whether Sougo keeps rejecting Momo's love only because he still only loves her as a sister. Does he really not have the slightest romantic feelings for her? I've always thought there is some tension between them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the summary!! i wish shougo will realized something when momo snatched away from him T_T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot for your summary <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you very much for being patient and making summary for this manga. i really appreciate it. and this summary really really help my curious back then because this manga doesn't exist at my country. and i can't wait for manga reader online to release until this chapter. i am really waiting your post about next chapter.
    i am really disappointed because this manga doesn't release at my country :(. thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, thank you for summarizing! I wish I could read the raws...
    Do you plan on summarizing the rest of the series as well?

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks so much....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank u for the summary!! U r an angel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, can you post the last few chapters anytime soon...
    I am so waiting for the ending.

    ReplyDelete