Monday, January 23, 2012

Hapi Mari novel: Translation teaser (Update 1)


Written by Takase Yunoka           
Originally by Enjouji Maki


"No way, it's this late already?"

 Looking at the clock in the kitchen, I hurriedly took off my favorite apron.  Hokuto's going to be back soon.  Even though it's Sunday, he has to work from morning to evening.  But tonight he can finally have dinner at home.  He's always so busy.  Ahh...my apologies.  My name is Mamiya Chiwa, and I'm a super ordinary OL (office lady).  I've been married for two years now.

Hokuto is my beloved husband.  He's five years older than me, and is the president of Mamiya Business Affairs of the Mamiya Group, one of Japan's leading companies.  Before I switched jobs, I worked in the same company, so I know of his talent better than others.  Ever since he became president, company performance has been skyrocketing.  He's even been published in financial editorials.  So how did I get married to such a person?  Like a Cinderella story, he fell in love with me at first sight....not.  There were actually some special circumstances that brought us together.

During that time when I had to repay my father's debts, I held two very different jobs.  During the day, I was Takanashi Chiwa, an OL in Mamiya Business Affairs.  At night, I was Chiwawa, a cabaret hostess.  I could have ran away like mom did, but I couldn't bear to let go of my late grandma's beloved garden.  Then on one day, Hokuto suddenly proposed to me out of nowhere.  It seemed that my grandmother had been his grandfather's, or the chairman of Mamiya Group, benefactor.  The chairman told me he'll help repay the debts, in exchange for my accepting Hokuto's proposal.  If Hokuto hadn't agreed, he would have been in danger of losing his president position.  His goal of succeeding the entire Mamiya Group would also have been further out of reach.  Since our interests were the same, we both agreed.  In other words, we had a contract marriage.  But now...

I paced around my room for a bit, before changing out of my sweater and skirt into a party dress.

"Definitely cute..."

Adorning the dress were lace at the hems and neckline, with a ribbon right below the breastbone.  It was something Hokuto picked out for me for the financial party last time.  He said it matched my image.  I hadn't known he thought I was this cute.  Thinking of that, my lips tucked into a smile.  That's right.  I'll become beautiful for Hokuto, and only Hokuto.  I curl my hair gently, and apply slightly more makeup than usual on my eyes.  For my lips, this winter's new colour.  Its concept is lips you would want to kiss.  I wonder if Hokuto will feel the same?  Just as I finish putting on my fur stole and attaching my earrings, I hear the door open.

"He's back!"

I fly out of my room and rush to the entrance.  Then, pang!  I release the party cracker in Hokuto's direction.

"...What are you doing?"

The silence settles for for about ten seconds.  Slowly and softly, I venture out.

"Umm...it's almost Christmas."

"And so?"

"Since Christmas falls on a weekday this year, we can't spend it together right?  So I thought we should celebrate in advance..."

Finally Hokuto's eyes spotted my dress.  "So that's why you're all dressed up?"

Is that it?  It's the dress he complimented before.  The dress I wore especially for him.  Oh I know he's not the fawning type, but still.

Hey guys!  These are the opening pages to the story, and I wish I had the time to do more (considering how patiently you've waited).  I know this first post is short, so I promise to do a quick update next time.  Let me know what you think~  I tried to keep the translation as close to original text as possible (like the lack of 'he said', 'she said' after the quotations as there are none in the novel  I hope it's not too confusing to differentiate who's talking).  Also, feel free to talk about anything other than hapi mari on here.  I had originally opened this blog ages ago to rant about things but subsequently deleted the previous posts as they were really old.  I also don't plan on making this space novel-exclusive. 


Anyhow, please enjoy.



45 comments:

  1. Thanks for the translation!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great! thanks you for the translation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the first impression....that such a details work you got there....almost of the time while, I red line by line I see what Chiwa do and her movement...and how Hakuto make a annoying face.....hahahaha...it's really alive....thank so much and keep-up the great job....GAMBATE NEEEE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you really made my day!
    it's a great feeling to know that there will be more hapi mari translations from now on.
    keep up the good work, you translated it very nicely, i enjoy reading it.
    thank you so much for the hard work ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT!!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the translation =D very detail, i actually can have the scene in my head while reading XDDD just a quick question, are you going to post it chapter by chapter and are you willing to make PDFs for those who want to keep it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for the translation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great start whisperpuppies, here is big THANKS!!!! just hope it stays in charter. I'm looking forward to the next installment!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you very much fot the translation . the story is really nicely written :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you so much for your great work, i feel this story gonna be great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i want some more !! hahaha.thanks for delivering us a glance of the story :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for the translation. I love it already. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you soo much!!
    i would definitely love to read the whole novel..i.e if you have the time to translate it
    anyways..thank you for the effort
    i just cannot express how happy i am to know you'll be translating the novel
    thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you so much!!...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ..Wow., Love it..!!! Thank you so much..!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks a lot for this!! I like a lot =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much~~~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much~~~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks! it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the translation. But to me it seems like it's a bit lame... I still reckon I prefer the manga over the novel. But we'll see how it goes. I'll be looking forward to reading the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ahhhh you've made my day! Thank you so much for the translation! Looking forward to reading the rest of the novel hehe. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is really one GREAT translation!! Thanks thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow wow wow! Thank you soooo much! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love it i love it i love it!!! :))

    thank you.. :))

    ReplyDelete
  26. i just love love love love love love love LOVE it!!!!
    To tell you the truth i wasn't expecting anything but i was wrong! If it continues like this opening i might like it more than the manga itself (?)
    So thank you so much for your hard work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. zOMG. Cliffhanger! XD

    What a preview. Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to do this. If the project seems to be too much to handle, I'm fine with the alternative of summarizing the novel. :)

    So far, the translation/editing is superb. Everything flows really well. You are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOOOW!! I's really GOOD! :)
    Well, thanks 4 ur hard work~ I really appreciate it, and really hoping you to continue translate this. I'm looking forward for this novel~ *giggle*

    ReplyDelete
  29. thank you.. keep up =D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Really thank you!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. thankyou!!! i really loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you very much for the translation!

    ReplyDelete
  33. thanks!!!!! for this translating!! was amazing!! i love ti ♥

    ReplyDelete
  34. OMG this is so cool! Thank you whisperpuppies!!! I can't wait for more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. thanks for translating!!!! really2 made my day..
    always waiting for their story.. huuu

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you so much for take time to translate this novel in your busy schedule. the truth is, i don't expecting much, but after i read this i think i'm gonna love this novel as much as the manga.
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  37. OMGSH!!!! I'm excited, thank you thank you! I think your translations are perfect, they don't look awkward at all and the dialogues' speakers are pretty easy to differentiate. :) Wah, I'm so happy, thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  38. O my God!!!!
    once again, i am really grateful because i can find your blog. thank you so much whisperpuppies.. you are really make every woman in the world who like this story very much feel really happy..
    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you a million times!!! This had made my day!! <3333

    ReplyDelete