Friday, August 30, 2013

Dear Brother Chapter 10 Summary

Finally moving somewhere! Although the relationship between Momo and Sougo is still going nowhere, there's a new plot development! I just hope that it turns out for the better in the next chapter~

The chapter starts with Gin and Aoba examining the scratches on Momo's face, which she doesn't cover up because she doesn't want to put any cosmetics on her wound. Sougo, who just entered the dining room, also is alarmed, but Gin tells him not to worry since it's a shallow wound that will heal soon. Sougo doesn't seem to be in high spirits, and as he leaves the house for work, he tells Momo that he'll help her reject Arimatsu. She tells him that he doesn't have to, but he insists.

Aoba: He's still stubborn as always.

Gin: Leave him alone, he's always like that. He'll probably never change.

At work, Momo tells Sakura (Momo's coworker) what happened at home.

Sakura: I thought you always got along well with your siblings.

Momo: Yea, but we get into fights sometimes too.


Sakura (mistaking the scabs on her knees and face for something else): And so you take up knives because of that?

Momo (wondrous): Do they look like knife wounds?

Sakura: But that's nice, it feels like a happy family.

Momo: Even with these wounds?

Sakura: Because if you were alone, there wouldn't even be someone to fight with.

Momo reflects back on what Sakura told her, about how her own brother ran away from home. She sympathizes with Sakura because she feels the same emptiness inside from time to time, and they're the ones left to chase after their family.

Momo: If you don't mind, please come over to our house sometime. Everyone would be happy to have such a cute guest like Sakura-san.

Sakura: Alright, I'll take you up on your offer next time.

In another cafe somewhere, Sougo asks Arimatsu to forget about his sister, but Arimatsu mistakens it as Sougo being nosy and juding himself to not be a suitable candidate for his sister. Sougo denies it however.

Arimatsu: Enough! It's only because you don't think I'm suitable. I'll take care of things by myself. She told me that she was happy spending time with me. But you should really do something about your sister complex. She'll become another man's wife someday. Do you really think you can keep poking around in her life then?

Sougo: Sister complex...? I don't have one. She's...

Sougo remembers the conversation he had with Gin earlier right after Momo's accident. When Gin had asked Sougo if he knew something, Sougo replied that he at least knows that Momo isn't their blood-related sister.

Gin: So...you know...

Sougo: But I still plan on taking care of her like I am now. That won't change, and I think nii-chan is thinking the same, right?


Back to the cafe...

Sougo: Saying that I have a sister complex is stepping over the line. But then again, I don't expect you to understand my actions, even if I were to explain them to you.

Arimatsu: ...whatever, just don't poke into it anymore. Even if you were her brother, you have no right to mind such things.

Sougo: I'll back off, but you better not force her either. If you hurt her in any way, I'll not forgive you.

Later that night, as Momo and Sakura get off work and decide to go for drinks, Arimatsu goes to bug Momo.

Momo: Hasn't my brother told you already?

Arimatsu: This has nothing to do with your brother.

Sakura: Komatsu-san, is this your boyfriend?

Momo: No way!

Arimatsu: Eh, you last name is Komatsu?

Momo: Yes...

Arimatsu: Why isn't the same as your brother? I thought you were Honda Momo.

Sakura, seeing it may take a while, decides to leave the two first.

Momo (calling after Sakura): Wait, I still want to go get drinks with you! (to Arimatsu) It's all your fault! Didn't I reject you already?

Arimatsu: Honda-sensei may have rejected me, but I didn't hear it from your mouth.

Sakura slows a bit on hearing Arimatsu's words.

Momo: I already told you! I told you there was someone that I liked! Fine then listen up now! You're only chasing after me because I didn't fall in love with you. You're making this into a game that you want to win.

Arimatsu: And why would you think that?

Momo: Because you're handsome and are used to receiving attention from girls.

Arimatsu: Then you should just fall in love with me. I may give up if you do so.

Momo: What nonsense is that? You lawyers only know how to twist logic!

Arimatsu: Eh? Isn't your brother a lawyer too?

Momo (angry): He wouldn't do something like that!

Sakura leaves a little more quickly after catching that Momo's brother is a lawyer.

The next few days, Arimatsu keeps on visiting and bothering Momo after work, and she's exasperated and tired at home because of it. Sougo is not much better, and there's a frown on his face every morning. One night, Arimatsu takes a dead-drunk Sougo back home. He explains that Sougo was picked next for duty to defend a person who's suspected of robbery and rape of several women, which was why he probably was so troubled the past few days.

Arimatsu: Anyone with an ounce of justice in them would be troubled, and Sougo's not the type to slack off because of it. Momo cries on hearing it while Aoba practically shoves him out the door after hearing Momo's thanks. Arimatsu, of course, asks for a date for his favor. As Arimatsu walks home, he wonders if Sougo and Momo are really siblings, since their last names are different and the way they care for each other is uncharacteristic.

Momo stays with Sougo and strokes his hair while she fusses over him. She wishes that Sougo could have relied on them as family a bit and to tell them of his troubles at work. Sougo wearily wakes a bit.

Momo: Sougo-niichan! We heard about your next case, and we were really shocked and worried, and know there's nothing we can do either. I know you have the obligation to keep things private, and you probably think it's immature to complain about things at work, but please tell us when you're stuck. Please rely on us.



Momo: Sougo-niichan always keeps things to himself, overcoming things alone...what reason would there be for us to be here? Aren't we family?


Momo is of course flustered once he hugs her, but she attributes his actions merely to the alcohol.

Momo: Sougo-niichan...it's hard to breathe. Let go.

Sougo: I can't...don't go. Don't go anywhere. Don't leave me.


The next morning, Sougo loses his cool at seeing Momo sleep next to him.

Sougo: Why on earth are you here?!

Momo: You were drunk last night and Arimatsu-san...

Sougo: What does this have to do with him?

After Momo explains...

Sougo: I...see...did I say anything strange?

Momo: Nope.

Sougo: Really?

Momo: Yes.

Sougo (blushes): And...umm...I was only half conscious so I wasn't aware it was you...I didn't do anything strange to you, did I? I...

Momo: Umm...nothing at all...

Sougo: Good then...

Momo thinks, "Strange things huh...but even if you did, I wouldn't have rejected. I did...steal a kiss from you last night while you were still asleep. If anything, it was me who did something weird."

Sougo struggles to get up, before falling flat across Momo's lap again.

Sougo: I'm sorry.


Momo: But I'm glad. Because even if you were drunk you could have relied on me. (happily) Plus now we're even. When I was really depressed last time, you slept with me to comfort me too.

Sougo: That's not good!


Sougo: Not good at all! Because you and I are... (walking away) Never mind, I'm going to take a shower. Anyways, I'm sorry.

Momo: You're still wobbling, are you alright?

Sougo: Yea...

Momo's left wondering about what Sougo meant to say after "you and I".

A few weeks later, Arimatsu goes to visit Momo again after work.

Momo: Thank you for last time, I haven't seen you in a while.

Arimatsu: That's because I was doing some research. Matsuda Gin. Suzuki Aoba...and Honda Sougo. You guys have different last names after being separated.

Momo: Why are you researching something like that? That's private! Where did you...

Arimatsu: In our profession, we have our ways...

Momo: That's abusing authority!

Arimatsu: Yes...but I only wanted to know more about the person I liked.

Momo: That's right, we have different last names (are in different family registries), but we're related by blood.

Arimatsu: Is that so?

Momo: ?

Arimatsu: Take Honda Sougo for example. There's so such person as Komatsu Sougo.

Momo: Huh?

Sakura (who happens upon the two): Honda Sougo...?

Momo: Sakura-san...?

Sakura: Did you just say Honda Sougo?


Arimatsu: Who are you?

Sakura: If you know, please tell me! Tell me where my brother is!

7 comments:

  1. thanks for the update you are right it is starting to move. I think her and sougo will get closer and closer. Thanks!!!!! hope you have a great day whisperpuppies!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too! I can't wait to see the development between them~

      Delete
  2. What????? I was really shocked about the last part! I mean that it's so obvious that Momo and Sougo aren't blood-related but Momo's friend is the real sister then?? And that Gin is not blood-related with Momo too! I wonder about Aoba then...>,<

    Anyways, thank you very much for the update. Yes! Finally, the story is moving where it should be. I almost given up on this manga since it was quite too bland for my taste. But at least the author has finally worked her mind now. I hope it will continue to be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I've never not bought her tankobon before...and this is a first for me. Hopefully it'll move quickly.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for this update. I have been in love with this author since Hapi Mari :D. Hope this will be a nice story as well. Please don't drop this serie ><.

    ReplyDelete